Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any Downgraders?

Hi,

I've been reading up on 'downgrading'. I have a Win8 Pro ISO and license key which I haven't used. I have a Win7 machine with its install disk---which I intend to keep using.

I was thinking of 'upgrading' an XP Pro machine to Win8 Pro... and then immediately downgrading to Win7 as I've seen described.

Anyone else already done this successfully?

TIA.

--JC

Thanks
    You cannot legally do this I don't believe. Since your qualifying OS is XP, you do not own a Win 7 license for that PC. I believe you would need to purchase a Win 7 license to accomplish this. The offer is for people who purchase new PCs with Win 8 pre-installed and wish to downgrade to Win 7.

There is some conflicting info on this, but if I am interpreting correctly, if you purchased a new PC with Win 8 many manufacturers are providing the means to downgrade for free. In your case you are discussing installing Win 8 over an existing Win XP installation, then downgrading to Win 7. In this case I believe you would be required to purchase a Win 7 disk and license key.

Since you would have to purchase Win 7 anyway, why go through the hassles of installing Win 8 then downgrading.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-29 at 06:15.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well....

I have a -new- Win8 Pro license.... not bought with any machine. I figured I was entitled to install it on -any- machine I want--even a WinXP machine, right?

And once I have Win8 loaded on that machine, I figured I could 'downgrade' it to Win7. Doesn't seem illegal at all... unless you're saying that this is only allowed if you got Win8 pre-installed on a machine.

Anyone done this?

---JC

Thanks
    It may not seem illegal, but it reads illegal. What you're wanting to do is upgrade XP to Windows 7, which your Windows 8 license won't allow you to do. It will allow you to upgrade your XP machine to Windows 8 Pro, provided your XP is Service Pack 3. Then, if you decided you didn't like Windows 8 Pro, that Windows 8 Pro Upgrade license allows you to return the machine to its former Windows edition, not to a point in between.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yes, that is what I'm saying. Win 8 Pro would have to be pre-installed on a new PC to be eligible to downgrade. It would definitely be illegal to use Win 8 Pro to install over Win XP, then downgrade to Win 7.

This offer was put in place to induce people to buy new PCs with the thought that if they did not like Win 8 then they would be allowed to downgrade. It is definitely not meant to use the lower priced Win 8 upgrade to allow a Win 7 installation on existing PCs.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-29 at 19:00.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I certainly have no wish to argue.

And I understand and appreciate your arguments. I'm not sure I agree though. Just because MS -means- something or discourages a practice, doesn't necessarily make it 'illegal'. If that were the case, there would be no such thing as 'tax loopholes'.

Not trying to get something for nothing... I fully intended to use Win8. But all the negative usability info I've read certainly makes it harder now to go ahead with it.

I'll give it some thought.

---JC

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    I fully intended to use Win8. But all the negative usability info I've read certainly makes it harder now to go ahead with it.
    There are many ways Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. There are few ways Windows 7 is better than Windows 8.

Bruce

Thanks
    I certainly have no wish to argue.

And I understand and appreciate your arguments. I'm not sure I agree though. Just because MS -means- something or discourages a practice, doesn't necessarily make it 'illegal'. If that were the case, there would be no such thing as 'tax loopholes'.
    If you'll read the license agreements closely, you'll find that there is no 'loophole' for what you were proposing.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    There are many ways Windows 8 is better than Windows 7.
    None that I have been able to ascertain; and I'm not necessarily speaking in reference to the UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    There are few ways Windows 7 is better than Windows 8.

Bruce
    And to that I would have to say, "many".

Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have read about a number of incremental improvements... I'm sure they are nice. But frankly, I spend 90% of my time in traditional (Adobe, audio recording) and web based (PHP) apps. Until/unless I can get rid of 'Metro' I'd have a tough slog with Win8 regardless of any incremental. Like I said, I've actually been mostly happily still using XP.

Anyhoo, at the risk of seeming snippy, this is one of those topics that devolves. I really didn't expect to get into a chat about legality or the wonders of Win8. I figured there would/will be a jillion guys like me who... if there is an opportunity, will stick to Win7.

I appreciate all taking the time.

---JC

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    None that I have been able to ascertain; and I'm not necessarily speaking in reference to the UI.
    Fast Startup
    Secure boot
    Improved File Manager
    Better copy operations
    File History
    Improved Task Manager
    Internet Explorer 10
    Windows SmartScreen
    Family Safety
    Multiple screen taskbars
    Useful lock screen
    Picture password/PIN
    Refresh/Reset
    Improved Action Center
    USB 3.0 support
    Mobile broadband
    Airplane mode
    Hyper-V
    Windows Store
    Metro Apps

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    And to that I would have to say, "many".
    What advantages does Windows 7 have? XP Mode?

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I have one last comment/reason for being leery of Win8... Whether I start using it or not.

Windows is heading towards the Apple/Comcast/AT&T 'walled garden' where content and programs are all 'curated'. I find the whole 'apps' thing---where one 'licenses' a program or content as opposed to 'owning' it, -dreadful- for many reasons. Very soon you won't be able to install any program that isn't 'approved' or 'registered' through MS.

Metro is not the main reason to fear/loathe Win8... my guess is that MS fully 'gets' how resistant people are to the new UI. But their long-term plan is to get people used to the standardised/controlled environment and they'll take the short term hit to gain an 'app store'.

The really odd thing? I never thought we'd reach a day where MS represented 'freedom of choice' but compared with Apple/Facebook/Comcast/AT&T/Verizon Windows7 was great.

Sorry... what got me ranting was the previous msg with all those new features---most of which are of little use to me... and I dare say many people. Most of that stuff is '7.2'... What makes it '8.0' are all things that benefit MS---not -me-.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Actually, I have one last comment/reason for being leery of Win8... Whether I start using it or not.

Windows is heading towards the Apple/Comcast/AT&T 'walled garden' where content and programs are all 'curated'. I find the whole 'apps' thing---where one 'licenses' a program or content as opposed to 'owning' it, -dreadful- for many reasons. Very soon you won't be able to install any program that isn't 'approved' or 'registered' through MS.
    Maybe that will happen, but certainly not with Windows 8. Almost all apps available for 7 will run on 8's desktop. I bet that will also happen with 9 and even 10, because Microsoft would be giving up on the billion+ users advantage over competing platforms. That would make no sense at all.

For all intents and purposes, 8 includes just about everything 7 does, but the start menu and that can be easily solved.

Thanks
    Hi,

I've been reading up on 'downgrading'. I have a Win8 Pro ISO and license key which I haven't used. I have a Win7 machine with its install disk---which I intend to keep using.

I was thinking of 'upgrading' an XP Pro machine to Win8 Pro... and then immediately downgrading to Win7 as I've seen described.

Anyone else already done this successfully?

TIA.

--JC
    Can you provide a link where you've seen it described?

I doubt very much you'll be able to do what your asking legally and without some form of Windows 7 disk, and clean install.
    Forget the upgrade route and just purchase a Windows 7 disk instead, if 7 is what you really want.
    Way too much complexity and busying yourself just to save a few bucks.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    That's what my recommendation was in my first post. Why go through the hassles of installing Win 8 then backing back to Win 7. Just start with Win 7. No one has said Win 7 is not an excellent OS.

In discussions of Win 8 the OP seems focused on Win 8 Style UI (Metro) but this is such an easy thing to NEVER have to go to that it's really not worth worrying about. If the Desktop Tile is placed in the upper left of the tile groups, then simply pressing Enter will take the user to the desktop. Or one of the Start Orb replacements will do the same automatically.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast