New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Setup For Repair Of XP Pro Is Unable To Continue.

I have a custom computer with Win XP Pro, SP 3 and I have the original supplied OEM disk with system and SP3. I also have the product key.

Based on some problems with the Realtek HD Audio Output Audio, I've tried to do a repair using the supplied XP Pro Disk. However, when I try to use the disk it doesn't work. It opens to WELCOME TO MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP, but when I select INSTALL WINDOWS XP it collects information and then I get the the message: "No Valid System Partitions Were Found. Setup Is Unable To Continue".

Thanks for any help you can provide,

wrahn

Thanks
    If you have a SATA disk, you have to provide the SATA drivers on a CD or Floppy at the point in the install where it asks if you have any extra drivers.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm confused about your answer.

I want to use the "Repair" option from the XP Pro OS installation disk, so I insert it into the dvd\CD drive and it opens to the install welcome screen and I select "install windows XP" after a minute or two, I get the message indicated in my question. I do have SATA HDs, but I never get any opportunity to use a CD or floppy with drivers.

At this time my computer is working except for my audio which drops out after starting to play an audio\MP3 file. When I access my volume controls the audio control is at zero. If I move it up, the audio will play for sometime, but then drops out again. That's why I thought I could run the REPAIR fuction and see if that cures my audio problem. However, I can't use the install/repair function.

Thanks again,

wrahn

Thanks
    XP doesn't have native SATA support. Its been awhile since my last XP install, but you should have seen something like an "press F5 to load additional drivers..." notice at the bottom of the screen as an early part of the XP install. You also need an xp install disk at the same service pack level as you existing installation.

Do you have a System Restore point prior to the existence of the audio problem? Did you check for an updated driver?

If all this doesn't help, try an XP clean boot to see if an add on is causing the issue. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353?wa=wsignin1.0

Jerry

Thanks
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    Chowur and Jerry,

Many thanks for the information. I finally was able to do a Windows XP repair using your information to change the boot sequence. I did the repair, but still have my "wave/mp3 sound dropping out" problem.

However, thanks to you and Jerry I now know how to do a repair of my OS.

Many thanks,
    Wes