Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Downloading from YouTube

It used to be very easy to download videos from Youtube, but now it seems that every web site and application that used to do it can't anymore. Has anyone been able to download from Youtube recently?

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to say use freemake.com's video converter, but, as you say, it has stopped working for youtube. However, if you download the latest version of video converter it then suggests also installing the Freemake video downloader as a separate programme. That does work on youtube, I just tried it :-)
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

New Lounger
    Thanks
    " You Tube Download Wizard " add-on for Firefox works like a charm. Puts a download button at bottom of the video. Single click and it starts download. Works well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a number of programs that you can use, a simple search will uncover them, some free and some pay. For YouTube I use the FREE version of YTD Video Downloader, very simple program. They have a paid version as well. Both are located here: http://www.youtubedownloadersite.com/
    Last edited by James S; 2012-10-11 at 06:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use KeepVidhttp://www.keepvid.com; works like a charm

New Lounger
    Thanks

Freemake Video Downloader

I have used Freemake Video Downloader available from www.freemake.com for years. I have yet to find a better downloader. I highly recommend it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For many years, I have used a Firefox plugin called Download Helper which can download video from many different web sites as well as YouTube. Most of the time I download files in their native .flv (Flash video) format and play them in the VLC player. You can most often choose from a variety of resolutions. Often, YouTube offers a choice of MP3 formats as well, which I choose if I know that I will be sharing with others. Whenever you are on any web page with downloadable content, Download Helper notifies you by turning the tiny "pawn shop balls" in its icon from grey to color and animates them a bit. Useful tool!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Try PwnYouTube

Quote Originally Posted by punkydog9 View Post
    I have used Freemake Video Downloader available from www.freemake.com for years. I have yet to find a better downloader. I highly recommend it.
    I use Freemake for everything but YouTube--it works there (or did the last time I tried it), but I much prefer the PwnYouTube bookmarklet--it's not pretty, but gives me the choice of output format right up front and the output videos look and sound great.

Follow the above link, then follow the instructions to save the bookmarklet.

Thanks
    For Firefox the MP4 Downloader extension works very well again, provided you select the newest beta!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks

YouTube Download on iPhone

I found an awesome app for the iPhone to download YouTube videos called TubeBox. It has a very intuitive user interface and it is easy to use. The video player is awesome too. You can see thumbnails of the videos alongside the player to switch from one video to another. You can log into your YouTube account also to access your videos and preferences. Searching is very easy. One click download for the videos that you want to download

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When other download methods fail, Nirsoft's VideoCacheView can often copy the video file right from your browser's cache. Works with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use one of 3 Firefox addons.
    Keep tube, Keep it! & NetVideoHunter.
    The first 2 allow you to select format and size.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to be an old stuffed shirt, but what's the deal with Chrome extensions not supporting YouTube downloads anymore -something about Chrome webstore policy. Is there any legal issues in downloading using any of these third party solutions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spafford View Post
    For many years, I have used a Firefox plugin called Download Helper which can download video from many different web sites as well as YouTube. Most of the time I download files in their native .flv (Flash video) format and play them in the VLC player. You can most often choose from a variety of resolutions. Often, YouTube offers a choice of MP3 formats as well, which I choose if I know that I will be sharing with others. Whenever you are on any web page with downloadable content, Download Helper notifies you by turning the tiny "pawn shop balls" in its icon from grey to color and animates them a bit. Useful tool!
    I second using Download Helper. I just used it last night. I don't know about the other software recommended here, but one thing I find nice about Download Helper is that the download is faster and finished before what you're watching is through.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to be an old stuffed shirt, but what's the deal with Chrome extensions not supporting YouTube downloads anymore -something about Chrome webstore policy. Is there any legal issues in downloading using any of these third party solutions?
    Yes, they all violate YT's TOS; except there was one extension put out by YT itself that embedded a download button on each YT video page, which met TOS. Since all the entities involved here are Google-owned, they could get away with it and I don't really know what the idea was of letting a bunch of other downloader extensions operate in Chrome. Since however, just to be better "citizens" of the Internet maybe(?) they removed their own downloader and disrupted many/most/all(?) of the rest.

Technically Google was in the right because they own both entities and the TOS states they can do as they wish with any content posted on their YT servers. I tend to agree, if one doesn't want copyrighted material to be downloaded, don't post it. The only problem with that scenario is that other folks who don't own the copyright to something are posting the content in many cases so it becomes a channel for piracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast