Thanks

The story of Windows 8 User Design

Microsoft's Program Manager for the Windows User Experience, Jensen Harris, tell the story of Windows 8's UI design:
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/52173464

Warning, its an hour long rambling presentation.

Jerry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

acbeaton (2013-01-07)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I saw this video some time ago. It is rather long but provides some interesting background to the Windows 8 UI.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a fine story and I am glad that it is working so nice, W-8 that is.
    You do not read me often these days as per the above line, my two W-8 machines are doing great.
    This will not prevent me for wishing all here, specially those who helped me, they know who they are, a very fine 2013. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Microsoft's Program Manager for the Windows User Experience, Jensen Harris, tell the story of Windows 8's UI design:
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/52173464

Warning, its an hour long rambling presentation.

Jerry

Thanks for that Jerry, enjoyed it.

Took me some time to come to terms with Windows 8, especially the Start screen and touch, but, having been using it seriously since CP nearly a year ago, I am at this moment sitting comfortably in front of a 23" Win 8 fully compatible touch screen monitor with a stylus (to avoid the horrid greasy fingerprints), a wireless keyboard and mouse. I am using touch more and more and the design concept is beginning to make sense. The monitor was very expensive, though, and this will be a problem for many users.

Thanks
    Glad you enjoyed it. Its was a bit ominous to me as I don't like the new TIKAM (The Interface Formally Known As Metro) and this video indicates that Microsoft is wedded to it as the interface of the future come Hell or high water. They can't phase out the desktop soon enough. The process will accelerate once the have a fully Metroized Office Suite

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    It may take a decade or more for the desktop to disappear. Microsoft still has a lot of work to do in changing their tools and builtin utilties to the new envrionment. The consumer side is where the desktop will most likely first be unavailable. Microsoft is well aware of legacy corporate apps that will take a long time to disappear. Additionally, companies may make the decision to stick with the last version of Windows containing a desktop for many years.

Joe

Thanks
    But I predict it will become increasingly difficult to call up the desktop as time goes on and fewer new apps will be available for it. Time will tell

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    I agree about the desktop being less available. There will be less need for it too as more functionality is made available in the new UI.

Joe

Thanks
    I don't think they'll get rid of the desktop period. If anything you might see it going virtual, but to get rid of the desktop in my mind
    would mean going too far toward an Apple model. Then you might see Linux take off like it never has before.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.