Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

IE 10 lounge posting anoyance and workaround

If your new to using IE10 you may have noticed that it's a real pain to start posting here.

The best workaround for that compatibility issue is to click on the small broken icon between
    the magnifying glass and the refresh icon shown in the picture below.
    IE 10 compatability view.jpg

It's much easier than pressing F12 and setting compatibility, as it will only be active for as long as the specific window is open.
    F12.jpg

It's just one of the annoyances I kept stumbling upon with each fresh Windows 8 install and first time IE10 usage here on the lounge.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Yes. The "issue" seemed to have arisen with the latest Flash update, however, since the most recent Windows Updates I find a can post in the Lounge, once again, perfectly "normally" from within IE10 under Windows 8 64-bit. (This post, for example!!)
    Last edited by petesmst; 2012-12-31 at 05:58.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2015, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). (UEFI-booted)

Thanks
    I've noticed that a lot of sites that were "compatible" in I.E. 9 are not compatible in I.E. 10. Annoying yes but this is beta still. oops I mean customer preview......I almost uninstalled it this morning from my Win 7 Ultimate 32 machine, but changed my mind.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    There are similar compatibilities with IE 10 in Win 8. I suspect the problem is more the fact that web sites have not been updated for the newer browser.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Agreed: Some sites are still not compatible with Windows IE 10 (or Vice Versa!!!) For example, I can't post in Facebook with IE 10 (all links/fields are "dead"), but can with IE 9 or Mozilla Firefox. Currently, I find Mozilla to be the most compatible for all browsers I have tried under Windows 8 Pro (64-bit). Nevertheless, I look forward to IE 10 being fully functional/compatible.
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-01-02 at 04:40. Reason: Corrected typos
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2015, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). (UEFI-booted)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Agreed: Some sites are still not compatible with Windows IE 10 (or Vice Versa!!!) For example, I can't post in Facebook with IE 10 (all links/fields are "dead"), but can with IE 9 or Mozilla Firefox. Currently, I find Mozilla to be the most compatible for all browsers I have tried under Windows 8 Pro (64-bit). Nevertheless, I look forward to IE 10 being fully functional/compatible.
    I don't have any problem at all posting to facebook with I.E. 10
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I have found few if any sites that I cannot post to, but then again I have set IE 10 in compatibility mode for all sites at present through F12.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The problem is with "CKEditor", which is the default editor in our version of vBulletin. vBulletin 4.2.0 currently doesn't include an up to date version of CKEditor which fixes this problem.

I haven't tested IE10, but I expect this is the description of the problem:

"Pressing the enter key when typing a reply does not insert a new line when using IE10 and the vbulletin WYSIWYG post editor"

The problem was brought up again recently on vbulletin.com and has been brought up many times previously. vBulletin.com is the official support site for our vbulletin forum software. One of the vBulletin developers replied stating awareness of the problem, and a workaround by changing the reply editor in vbulletin:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...highlight=ie10

Quote Originally Posted by Zachery
    Click on the a/A button, and use the standard editor. It is a problem with our editor: CKEditor.
    There was a bug opened for this with vBulletin in October last year. It contains further details of investigating and identifying the problem.

In summary:
    - This is not an IE 10 error
    - This is a problem with older versions of the CKEditor (the default vBulletin 4 post editor)
    - It can be fixed when vBulletin releases a version of vBulletin 4 that updates the CKEditor version

The problem is listed here in the vbulletin bug tracker, but it can only be viewed by logged in members:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-13267
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

9. The Following User Says Thank You to I.M.O.G. For This Useful Post:

Medico (2013-01-03)

Thanks
    Sounds like there is no ETA on a fix:
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...pdated-vB4-2-0

Disappointing response there, however we are in the same situation as many other large Windows forums, most of which also use vBulletin. Hopefully they make updating CKEditor a higher priority.
    Matt Bidinger

Thanks
    Thanks Matt. I did have a thread back in the early CP days about the IE 10 Enter key problem. The work around was either using the Standard Editor or the Compatibility Mode. Since I like the full WYSIWYG editor, I use Compatibility Mode.

Hopefully they will fix this problem soon. Thanks for your explanation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have noticed that since today's (09 January 2013) IE10 Windows Update patch (Adobe Flash update) has been installed, I could use the Lounge fully in all respects (without "compatibility mode") in the Lounge Test zone. HOWEVER, for some strange reason, the "Enter Key" issue mentioned above is back in THIS thread?(!!). I can also not save the post unless I use compatibility mode in IE10
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-01-09 at 07:05.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    I have noticed that since today's (09 January 2013) IE10 Windows Update patch (Adobe Flash update) has been installed, I could use the Lounge fully in all respects (without "compatibility mode") in the Lounge Test zone. HOWEVER, for some strange reason, the "Enter Key" issue mentioned above is back in THIS thread?(!!). I can also not save the post unless I use compatibility mode in IE10
    Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the vBulletin developers. Until they update the component Matt mentioned we have to live with the quirks.

Joe

Thanks
    That is pretty much accurate. I've worked on applying pressure on the vbulletin devs and raising the priority for fixing this issue. They aren't promising anything though.

We are working on alternatives. One which we are considering is updating vBulletin ourselves to use a newer version of CKEditor. http://ckeditor.com/

That could fix the issue, but we aren't the ones who created the software, and updating it ourselves could take time and make the problem worse. We're looking into it though.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 2013-01-14 at 10:45.
    Matt Bidinger

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    That is pretty much accurate. I've worked on applying pressure on the vbulletin devs and raising the priority for fixing this issue. They aren't proising anything though.

We are working on alternatives. One which we are considering is updating vBulletin ourselves to use a newer version of CKEditor. http://ckeditor.com/

That could fix the issue, but we aren't the ones who created the software, and updating it ourselves could take time and make the problem worse. We're looking into it though.
    Matt,
    Thanks for the update. Changing a component that someone else has included is always risky. Good luck with that.

Joe

Thanks
    FYI, I have temporarily disabled the WYSIWYG editor function when creating replies to threads. This should make IE10 work without using compatibility mode, and it may resolve other issues related to using the Lounge on IE 10.

Let me know if you see any problems, or otherwise have any concerns related to this.
    Matt Bidinger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast