Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hot Spot Security

Because we frequently travel to areas where no WiFi is available, I use a Verizon HotSpot, a small device which provides access via 4G. It's expensive but works fine. I wonder if it is more or less secure than a normal DSL router. It has WPA security and is supposed to broadcast its signal about 15' or less. In practice, its signal can reach about 30' while normal routers can reach 100' or more. I also turn it on and off so it's only 'on' when I am on-line. Am I safer using a hot spot than with a normal WPA router?
    Last edited by Magna; 2013-01-04 at 23:17.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The hotspot is effectively a router with WPA. Connection from your computer to the hotspot will be secure as long as you use WPA.
    See the article on router security.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2013-01-09 at 12:02.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Make sure you use AES with WPA or use WPA2 (this applies to normal routers as well), but I second Paul's statement on the hotspot security. I use one too.

Thanks
    You're probably more secure using the Verizon hotspot than you are using a public wifi, because you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes with a public wifi; but with the Verizon hotspot, it's just you and Verizon. That is assuming you have your security and your password adequately set up.