Thread: New SATA3 Drive

Lounger
    Thanks

New SATA3 Drive

I have a Windows7 64bit Home Premium desktop computer, Crystal Disk was showing my hard drive was having problems. So I bought a new WD 1TB SATA3 HDD to replace the old (3 years) Seagate 1TB SATA2 HDD. The seagate drive was showing 722MB free space, I installed the new WD drive on the same SATA2 port and restored with an image from Acronis. It worked perfectly and showed 722MB free space, the same as the old seagate drive. The next time I looked at the drive, a few hours later it showed 812MB free space. Everything works fine and all my data appears to be in place. My question is does the SATA3 drive automatically compress data, because nothing showed up in the recycle bin. Have reinstalled the image twice now with the same result. I'm confused!, any info would be much appreciated.
    Cheers John.

Thanks
    How to Geek can explain it better than most;http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/wind...rong-capacity/
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank's for the reply chowur. I haven't lost space, I have gained 90GB. I meant to say 722GB free space to 812GB. My mistake sorry, don't know why I'm gaining space.
    Cheers John.

Thanks
    Why not check what's on the disk by running Treesize Free? Best results when you Run as Administrator.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Ickabod (2012-12-31)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you BATcher, will have a go at that. It just seems odd that I gained 90GB of space and everything still seems to be in place. I know you lose space, but gain space!
    Cheers John.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just run TreeSize and will try and attach a screen shot. It seems to be in the System Volume Information, even though C drive is a direct image of G drive, the folders are miles apart in size. Why would the new drive delete the information. I can't get a picture to attach sorry.
    Cheers John.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ashampoo_Snap_2013.01.01_09h51m03s_002_.pngI think I got it, don't know if this helps . hopefully someone knows about system volume information, and can tell me why the new drive would delete it.
    Cheers John.