Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Office 2010, problem with Building Blocks.dotx

When I try to Insert|Quick Parts to access Autotext that I have created I get an error message (see attached).
    Sometimes, even though I get the error message, it lets me insert Quick Parts. Sometimes it doesn't.
    How can I repair this so it functions correctly? It is driving me crazy.
    Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Georgette Grossman
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    ~$ilding Blocks.dotx is an owner file, a type of temporary file that Word creates when a document or template file is reopened and ordinarily deletes when the document/template is closed. If Word is unable to close properly, such as when a power failure occurs, the owner file will be left behind and cause problems.

With Word closed, go to the building blocks folder for your version of Word (14 is for W2010) and language (1033 is for US English) in the following example:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\14

and delete ~$ilding Blocks.dotx--but not Building Blocksdotx or Built-In Building Blocks.dotx.
    Pam Caswell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Yay... it worked!!!!

Many thanks for fixing this for me.
    I did notice that there were two building blocks.dotx files... one in the 14 folder and another older dated one in the 1033 folder (that is where the ~ file that I deleted was located. Should there be 2?
    Thanks again, Georgette

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have had O2013, -10, and -07 loaded on my computer and have 3 building blocks.dotx files. IIRC, in W2007 the file was in the 1033 folder (& the Built-in Building Blocks file was in Program Files (x86)). And since the 1033 file in the oldest one, I suspect it is the W2007 file.
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2013-01-02 at 21:13.
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This fix worked for me but only after I deleted ~$ilding Blocks.dotx files in both the 14 and 1033 folders.

Thanks
    Word 2007 puts its file in the 1033 folder directly. Word 2010(14) and 2013(15) put them in the 14 and 15 folder, respectively. I believe all of them will read and use building blocks in .dotx files that are higher in the file hierarchy than their own file, up to the Document Building Blocks folder. I have the Animated Text Effects.dotx in the "Document Building Blocks" folder and it is used by all of these versions.

If you have multiple versions of Word you will have multiple files. Word 2010 and 2013 each seem to also create a "Building Blocks.dotx" file of their own but I do not know what this is for.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin