New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows restarts overnight on its own every 10-15 days

I've read Fred Langa's May 7, 2009 articles about
    When your PC restarts without warning, itís a clear sign that something is very, very wrong.

Fred's article suggested failing hardware or problems with insufficient cooling. I'd hate to think that a brand new PC is having these problems.

I'm not sure this still applies to Win7. My new hp PC, purchased in mid August 2012 directly from hp, has suddenly been spontaneously restarting overnight every 10-15 days. This began mid-October. I find out in the morning, when I return to my PC, that all of the programs that were running when I left the PC for the night are no longer running. I'm not aware of any process that would automatically do this. I do have my Windows Updates set to dowonload automatically, but to ask before they install.

When I called the hp support, their recommendation was to to uninstall all of my programs and/or use the recovery console and restore the computer to its factory state. They wouldn't attempt to help me since I had added software to the original crapware.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    I have a few suggestions;1)Run this memory test;http://memtest86.com/ 2)Run this hard drive test;https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm
    BTW,its all FREE! I would also get a compressed air computer;http://compressed air computer Which you can get most places other than the link I have posted.I don't know if you know how to run the memory test or not?Anyway after you burn the the program to the disc.You need to set your bios so it will boot to the CD-Rom first.Also when you get the can of air,do it Short bursts.I hope the above helps.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Also, look in the event viewer and the Reliability History (Start orb > reliability) for clues.

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In addition to Jerry's suggestion about event logs etc, look in %SystemRoot%\MiniDump for any minidump logs of BSOD events.

Consider disabling automatic restart in System Properties (Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Startup and Recovery > Un-tick Automatically Restart.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    My computer reboots about as often as yours, due to Microsoft updates being automatically installed.