New Lounger
    Thanks

what is quick start

What is the Quick Start facility in Win 8 prof?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8 for an in depth discussion of boot process changes in Windows 8.

Joe

Thanks
    shutdown /s /full / t 0

Turn this into a simple one click command by creating a new shortcut on the desktop.
    Just paste the above in the item location and click next.

Always remember to perform a complete shutdown when manipulating or otherwise making hardware changes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    shutdown /s /full / t 0

Turn this into a simple one click command by creating a new shortcut on the desktop.
    Just paste the above in the item location and click next.

Always remember to perform a complete shutdown when manipulating or otherwise making hardware changes.
    That command won't work because the /full switch doesn't exist in Windows 8: New CMD switches for shutdown.exe in Windows 8 - Includes /hybrid but not /full

Despite its appearance in that MSDN Building Windows 8 Blog (published 16 months ago); for RTM, Microsoft apparently made "full" the default for a shutdown command and introduced the "/hybrid" option instead.

I believe "shutdown /p" does an immediate full shutdown.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-12-31 at 16:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry if I'm being stupid but why are you guys suggesting ways of making a computer shut down quickly when the OP asked about Quick Start?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    Sorry if I'm being stupid but why are you guys suggesting ways of making a computer shut down quickly when the OP asked about Quick Start?
    Fast startup after shutdown is the default, but there may be a rare occasion to override that when changing hardware between a complete shutdown and full startup.

Bruce

Thanks
    Fast boot can be a really decent feature, but not if you don't understand it's potential limitations.
    Unfortunately MS doesn't always go out of it's way to communicate these things, except in the MSDN Blogs
    where few average Windows users actually go, and even then your only likely to get a passing mention of it.

Unless you have a really really fast BIOS post screen, your best experience with fast boot will be with full UEFI implementation,
    and not just a half baked UEFI/BIOS combo.
    You'll also find a considerable amount of variability between different boards and BIOS's that'll have their own effects on fast boot.
    And that will make a big difference when it comes to user experience.

I think this feature, to at least some extent, is also an admirable attempt by MS in dealing with both the average user, and OEM computer
    manufacturer's bad habit of loading too much software and crap at start up.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.