Thanks

Outlook Graphics - Yea, again!

Well, I thought I'd add what I found this morning: When the box with the red x says "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved renamed or deleted. Verify..." and so on. I did, it does. I get the same error with either a POP or an IMAP account, newly created.

The only thing I haven't tried is a new Windows install, which I suppose I'm off to try now...

I just cannot BELIEVE...

Ah me...

----------------
    I am so absolutely frustrated I cannot tell you...

I went back to an image backup that had no Office installed on it. I installed Office and set up an IMAP e-mail account in Outlook (2010).

The graphics -- which show up fine at the web mail point -- that's 1and1 web mail -- are just showing placeholders in Outlook -- and that's with the "Don't display downloaded pictures automatically..." unchecked.

I've looked everywhere I can think of, been on two or three boards -- including MS's technet -- and NOTHING is working.

What the h--- cold this be from!?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2012-12-31 at 14:43.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What OS are you running?

What security software?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I'm running W-7 Ultimate and using Security Essentials.

AND

I just finished installed Outlook [Microsoft office 2010] from scratch -- again -- and, obviously, creating all the e-mail addresses AGAIN, and, sure enough, as soon as I started downloading mail, it was coming through with no graphics!

I have NEVER had this issue to this extent, and it's verging on getting the better of me. I'm not sure what the heck else I can do that I haven't done.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are the senders in your blocked senders list?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, no they are not on any blocked list. Here's the latest:

I went back to bare metal, and, after installing the base Windiows 7, I then immediately installed Office 2010. Everything was fine.

Then I carried forward with the rest of the hardware, and the drive and folder mapping. Still all OK. That's strange too, because I restored what I had thought was a good Office backup, but it had the same problem.

So that's where I am right now. I have a good many more programs to install, but, before I do, I have a question: Obviously, I could mirror the drive, and that would pretty mush secure that the settings would hold -- at that stage. BUT, as I continue to install the rest of the software, I don't want to be making a backup every 15 minutes, so, what's my alternative?

Do you think restore points would be sufficient? Registry backups? Or something else? I know I sure don't want to run into this again and have to spend another several hours reconstructing things, and worse, still not knowing what really even happened to cause the problem.

Suggestions?

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Starting with your latest image, I would install one or two programs and then test Outlook. If it works I'd do another image and install the next one or two. Repeat the process until you find the culprit or all works. I know that is a pain but you've already spent guite a bit of time restoring and re-installing. Isn't doing an image backup that preferable to starting from scratch?

If you are really dead set against that many images a restore point should be sufficient but I'd take the time to do the images.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I think you're right. I will make images from this point -- after I fix what just came up!

I was setting up all my accounts in Outlook, and suddenly I see the "blank" account shown below. I can't close it, not can I delete the PST as it says it is associated with an account -- but the data file -- ".pstst" -- can't be closed -- it says it is associated with a group of files [?].

I looked at my accounts, and it's nowhere in that list at all.

So now????

Chuck

Thanks
    Since I don't have an image from less than 4-5 hours of work ago, I thought I would try something:

Since this was/is an used install of Office and Outlook, I just went through and deleted all the Outlook accounts. Everything looked OK. Then I created one POP fake account.

Immediately, the .pstst account is back as (2).pstst.

I need a drink!

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just stumbled across this KB article - Images in email message disply a "red x" instead of the image if the Cache value in the registry is incorrectly configured for Outlook 2010. Looks like it might apply.

Joe