Thanks

Need help. PC won't boot DOS.

When I turn it on the fan speed remains on high and I hear 3 slow beeps from the pc but nothing ever shows on the screen. The cords are inserted correctly and nothing was disconnected in the pc. Do the beeps mean that my hd is shot or is it my mb? I suspect the mb since the fan never slows down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    M332,

The three beeps come from the Power On Self Test {POST}. What the beeps mean depend on your Motherboard. You should search for your motherboard manual online if you don't have it and check there. It may well be your video that has the problem since nothing shows on the screen.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks RG. I looked it up and found this. Here's a screen capture of the pdf:

Capture.JPG

Since all 3 beeps are identically slow then I'm concluding from the list that the first 64k memory is the problem instead of the video. I don't know what that means though since I have 4 sticks of 1gb total installed. Does that mean that one of them is bad?

Thanks
    M332,

Try this Google query { PC POST "First 64K memory failure" } don't forget the quote marks. I especially like this thread the 3rd post, make sure you also see the 4th post if you have recently purchased/changed memory modules.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks. The battery move and jumper move didn't help but the memory removal/reinsert did. Now I can get into the bios setup. My hd is listed there along with all of my ram(which I misspoke earlier and is 4gb not 1gb btw) but when the pc tries to bootup I get this screen:

P1000104.jpg

The hd is hooked up right so it's not a cable issue. So I can't use chkdsk to scan the hd for bad sectors but I suspect it is usable and the previous XP OS just went kaput from either a hacker or virus. I don't have a windows cd so I would have to buy one and install XP on it to get it working again. Am I wrong or is there anything I'm missing here?
    Last edited by M332; 2013-01-01 at 20:08.

Thanks
    M332,

What type of HD do you have PATA or SATA?
    If PATA have you checked the jumpers on the drive? Have you double checked the power cable/tried a different one?
    If SATA do you have it connected to the 1st channel { 0 }?
    I take it that you do not have Image backups?
    You can use any XP installation disk of the same version {borrow from a friend, unfortunately there is no legitimate way to download it} as long as you have your license key { on most machines it's on a sticker on the case }.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    If your BIOS supports booting to "network", disable it, then power cycle off, then drain caps by turning on with power off, then attempt normal restart.
    You should still be able to boot with a DOS styled recovery disk and run chkdsk, provided you have enabled booting to CD/DVD and or USB/floppy.

Intel BIOS & boot manager can be a strange creature.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    M332,

What type of HD do you have PATA or SATA?
    If PATA have you checked the jumpers on the drive? Have you double checked the power cable/tried a different one?
    If SATA do you have it connected to the 1st channel { 0 }?
    I take it that you do not have Image backups?
    You can use any XP installation disk of the same version {borrow from a friend, unfortunately there is no legitimate way to download it} as long as you have your license key { on most machines it's on a sticker on the case }.
    SATA, I'm guessing on 1st channel since it's on the bottom left of 4 channels(2+2). I tried it on another channel with no difference. The cable is fine since it's showing the hd in bios and haven't tried a different one. I don't have backups, or any friends with same version XP(it had SP3). In my case is there any way to chkdsk the hd without having a xp disc? If not then I'll just have to try once I get a XP cd.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    If your BIOS supports booting to "network", disable it, then power cycle off, then drain caps by turning on with power off, then attempt normal restart.
    You should still be able to boot with a DOS styled recovery disk and run chkdsk, provided you have enabled booting to CD/DVD and or USB/floppy.

Intel BIOS & boot manager can be a strange creature.
    I don't have boot to network though. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Thanks
    I bought a xp cd and changed the bios to load from the cd drive first then xp installed and all appears well now. Ran chkdsk and found no errors so the hd is good.