New Lounger
    Thanks

Truncated Field result in Word 2000 & 2013 Preview

I have a spelled out date (November 21, 2012 or January 2, 2013), with the Heading 1 Style assigned, and this is at the top of the second column in a section. This date is bookmarked as NLDate (newsletter date). For 3 years, I have been referencing this bookmark in the documents' header using a field:
    { REF NLDate \h \* MERGEFORMAT }.

Everything has always worked as expected until I use a year value of 2013 or 2014 - regardless of the rest of the date. Doing so results in the last character being truncated in the header in the field that references the NLDate bookmark: January 2, 201

If I add a space after the field in the header, there is no change. If I add a space, or a period to the bookmarked text, there is no change. If the bookmarked year is 2013 or 2014, only 3 characters of the year are displayed. This problem persists when the NLDate bookmarked field is in a column, or outside the column; with Normal Style, or Body Text style.

The condition persists in either Word 2000 or Word 2013 Preview.

Any clues?
    Last edited by mjmb; 2013-01-01 at 16:40.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps you don't have the bookmark (brackets) displayed and when you type the new date, the last digit is being inserted past the bookmark's close (end) bracket. Testing with that scenario, I'm able to replicate the problem.

I don't recall how to make the bookmark brackets visible in Word 2000, but assuming the Word 2013 Preview is similar to Word 2010, click the File tab, Options, and choose the Advanced category at left. Scroll to "Show document content," and click to check "Show bookmarks." Then OK out.

If you have bookmark (brackets) displayed and are not typing the last digit outside the close bracket, I'm not sure what's going on.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to janbphd For This Useful Post:

mjmb (2013-01-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jan,

That is exactly what happened. I must have gone to the end of the Bookmark line, and either added the 3 for 2013 and then deleted the 2 of 2012 - or the other way around. Using your tip about accessing Word's setting of the bookmarked text demonstrated the cause of this error.

Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So glad that worked! (I was running out of ideas... ;-) )

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I'd like to suggest a different approach. Instead of relying on a bookmark, apply a unique Style to the date - it can be a paragraph Style or a character Style (even if the Style has no special attributes). Then, in the header, use a STYLEREF field to reference that Style.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]