Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 will not reboot

Since installing Win8, my computer will not reboot. Even if I shut down and restart, Windows does not load. If I shut down and turn the PSU off; turn it back on; then try to start, it will not start. The only way I can reboot is to shut down; turn the PSU switch off; unplug the power cord; hold down the start button; then reverse the process. Needless to say, this is a huge irritant.

While there might be some role played by the mobo, this was not a problem when I was running Win7. My hardware includes a Fatal1ty Professional P67 mobo; 16GB ram; 2 SSDs; 4 conventional SATA drives; three optical drives; a PC Power and Cooling PSU; and a i7-2600 CPU.

Has anyone ever seen this condition? Any ideas as to how to fix it?

Thanks
    Are you getting any BIOS post messages or errors?
    Have you created and run a Windows 8 bootable recovery disk?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If there are error reports, I don't see them. Maybe Windows 8 stores something. The UEFI does not act, which is apparently the base problem. When the computer reaches the splash screen for the UEFI, the computer is dead. If I press DEL, for example, the UEFI does not open.

I have a Win8 recovery disk, but the machine does not boot from it when it is being rebooted. I don't think the recovery disk would find the problem (maybe it will) because Win8 actually boots effortlessly when I do a startup, after a total shutdown (with the power cord disconnected and the system drained of capacitive power).

I have not tried updating the mobo firmware, largely because I fear that it will go bad. Maybe that is the only option?

Thanks
    Have you tried F12 to get into UEFI? All this might possibly go away if UEFI were disabled.

Also, have you had a look at your BCD store when Windows is booted normally?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At this point, do you think this is related to Secure Boot, or do you think it's something else?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This morning, my digital copy of Windows Secrets arrived. The lead story was an explanation of why my computer will not reboot:

The following link includes all articles this week: https://windowssecrets.com/newslette...snt-really-off

The article explains that you can't access the UEFI because Win8 doesn't completely turn the machine off. Presumably that is why I had to remove the power cord and hold down the start button before I could get the thing going again. Other people had the same problem. At least I now know the cause. I have not yet tried the shutdown method they suggest:

shutdown.exe /s /f /t 00

If that works, the problem will then be to find a way to issue a restart command that does not choke.

Thanks
    Using the command line should put the machine into a power off state down to the ACPI level. From that level, Windows 8 should do a true cold boot (using the power button).
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Doing a Restart in Windows 8 will also do a complete shutdown and allow you to get into BIOS prior to the actual restart.

Jerry