Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help with setting up a shared printer on wireless network

Hello folks,
    FIRST, Happy New Year to you all and may it be a blessed one.

Need some advice / help.

I have my two pc's on a wireless network....one Win7 64 / one Win7 32
    I have a need to send printer files to my one printer on the "main pc", which is Win 32 and has the wireless router. The printer is on an ethernet connection port from the router.
    I have made configured that printer for "shared" with full permissions.
    I have installed the 64 driver for the printer on my wireless pc.....When I click on network, I can see my remote pc & my main pc. I click on my main pc and I can see the printer listed with the sharing icon.
    When I go to send a file to the printer (from remote wireless) it comes back and says it cannot connect.
    Both pc's have advanced sharing turned on...
    What do I do next?
    Thanks so much,
    Tom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    C.T.

If you have your printer connected to the router via RJ-45 cable the only thing you need to do is to install the printer on each machine using the Network Printer option.
    To do this you will need the software from the vendor in the appropriate bitness! {You can usually download this from the vendor's site} You will also need to know the printer's IP address {should be something like 192.168.1.xxx}.
    Of course the installation software may be able to find the printer w/o the IP address but I find it easier if you already know it.
    Note: You do not need to do anything with sharing on either PC! this is only necessary if the printer is USB connected to one of the computers.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello RetiredGeek,
    Ok - then I need to "un-share" the printer first.
    I do know the ip address of the printer.
    So, the existing pc with router is set to go after I unshare the printer.
    OK - then I need to install the printer on the wireless pc - it's 64 bit so do I need to install the 64 bit or would the 32 bit driver be ok...?
    Do I need to install it as a network printer with the TCP-IP address?
    I know I'm getting close...just let me know if I'm on the same page as you are.
    Thanks so very much,
    Tom

Thanks
    Tom,

Yes you will need the 64 bit driver software. I assume you are using Win 7 or 8 64-Bit?
    Yes you do need to install it as a Network Printer otherwise you won't get the option to use the IP address.
    If I were you I'd uninstall the printer entirely from both machines. Download the appropriate "bitness" drivers for each machine {note: some manufactures packages contain both and will automatically select the correct "bitness" for your version of Windows} then install each machine from scratch.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    On the "64bit" machine, I installed the printer with the correct drivers.
    On the "32bit" machine, I un-shared, and the existing driver installed was the correct 32 bit driver.
    I tried to send a file to the printer from 64 machine and it came back saying it could not find the printer.
    I tried pinging the printer and it failed.
    What is the next step sir?
    Thanks so very much and have a blessed day.
    Tom

Thanks
    One other thing: manually assign an IP address to the printer. In that way, the IP address won't change. You can do this using the printer's control panel.

In order to decide which IP address to assign to the printer, see which IP addresses are currently in use on the two computers. Should be something like 192.168.0.5, 192.168.0.15, etc. (only the last number changes). (Or it may be 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.12.) Pick a number higher than that, i.e. unlikely to be assigned by the router to another connected device. (For my two printers, I use 192.168.0.200 and 192.168.0.201.)

(You could log into your router and tell it not to assign IP addresses higher than 199.)

Once you have set a permanent IP address in the printer, you can always refer to that IP address for that printer. You won't have to worry about the printer getting a different IP address.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimphelps,
    My "wireless" printers are assigned 192.168.2.110 & 192.168.2.118 and work fine on this remote pc...
    The printer I'm trying to get to work and ping is 192.168.1.110 - All of these were "set" ip addresses.
    My wireless routers ip is 192.168.0.1 which I can ping fine.
    Now, (here I'm ignorant) the DHCP IP Address Range is 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.20....don't know if this makes a difference?
    What next my friends?
    Thanks so very very much for your interest and help.
    Tom

Thanks
    Tom,

I don't understand why you have your printers on192.168.2.xxx vs 192.168.0.xxx.

You really want all your devices on the same sub-net, the same one the router is using.

What is the IP of the computer that is working? Is it on the 192.168.2.xxx sub-net?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello RetiredGeek,
    On this remote wireless, the two printers were installed when I purchased them (they are hi-end units) by the company rep.
    I just did a ipconfig/all and the remote pcs' address is - 192.168.0.16(Preferred).
    They have been working fine on "this" pc for over four years. - I can change them through the hardware to 192.168.0.xxx

I will check the other pc with router tonight with ipconfig/all - as mentioned above, the router address is 198.160.0...

I will have to find how to change the printer I'm trying to access from 198.168.1.110 to 198.168.0.110....
    It has to be done with a piece of software as I can't do it through the printers' panel.

To me, this is starting to make sense....do I "appear" to be on the same page as you?
    Thanks so very very much.
    I'll report back.
    Tom

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    I changed the ip addresses on the wireless computer printers to 192.168.0.xxx (2 of them) and was able to ping and print fine.
    I added the remote printer using a non-conflicting 192.168.0.xxxx
    I then went to the other pc (with wireless router) and changed that printers ip to 192.168.0.xxx - pinged and printed fine.
    OK - everything on individual pc's working with no confilcting ip addresses.

I then came to the wireless pc, tried to ping the new 192.168.0.xxx address on the routered pc - it came back not reachable??
    Now, what do I need to do....?
    THANKS so much,
    Tom

Thanks
    Tom,

The only thing I can think of is to check the IP address of the Wireless PC and make sure it isn't set to 192.168.2.xx like the printers were.
    You should also check the configuration of the wireless adapter and make sure that it is set to obtain IP address automatically and not using a static IP.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello RetiredGeek,
    OK - here's where I'm at.
    1. The Work Network and shared files have always and still work fine. I can access the "routered" pc's shared files and folders - From the routered PC, I can access
    the wireless pc and access the shared files and folders...that has not changed.

2. On the wireless pc, I can ping the two printer ethernet ports / and the printers fine - I can Ping the Router fine.
    I "cannot" ping the ethernet port or the Printer on the "routered" pc.

3. On the "routered" pc, I can ping it's ethernet port and printer fine. I can also ping the router fine.

4. On the "wireless Adapter", both the IPv4 and IPv6 are set to obtain addresses automatically.

I just "know" there is a little something holding us up here...I'm just not savvy enough on networking to know what it is...any other suggestions?
    Thanks so much for your interest and patience.
    Tom

4. On the "routered" pc, I CANNOT successfully ping the "wireless" ethernet ports of the two printers and the printers themselves.

Thanks
    Tom,

I've attached a PowerPoint Slide so I can better visualize the situation. I hope you have PP and can modify the slide to include the IP addresses for the devices and possibly the Manufacturer/Model numbers. Please attach the modified file to your response. If you don't have PP you can use OpenOffice's slideshow program as I also have that and it will read PP slides. Note the dotted lined denote wireless connections.
    Attached Files Attached Files

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello RetiredGeek,
    GLAD you're still with me.
    I'll do this later tonight and attach back to you. Can I attach a .pdf file?
    Thanks so very much,
    Tom

Thanks
    Tom,

Yes you can attach a PDF.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast