Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    Here ya go...hopefully you can make sense of it. THANK YOU.
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Tom,

Ok, now I'm confused? If I read your diagram correctly, a big if, two of your printers are getting their IP addresses from Computer#2 and one from Computer#1?
    What is EnetPort? I think you have me completely out of the water here. I'm used to everything working from the router's DHCP.
    I've also never heard of Xante printers, I do live a sheltered life.

Your move?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    First and foremost, I apologize for any confusion...let me explain.

1. I'm in the graphics business and use hi-end printers - Xante Brand
    2. My shop is in part of my home, away from the normal living space.
    3. The original PC (Wired) is inside my home - the wireless is in my "shop" or place of business, and I needed a way work late at night, INSIDE on the wired pc , and still access the "work pc" and files in my shop - thus my workgroup sharing between pcs - so I installed the wireless router on main in-house pc, and the wireless adapter on my "shop" pc....works fine and I can also access the internet on my shop pc.
    4. My Inside wired pc - I went straight from my second ethernet port on the pc to my AW1200 Printer. The other ethernet port ties into my router and modem.

5. My "shop" pc, is using the USB Wireless Adapter for communication between the two pc's - The two ethernet ports on shop pc are used to go to the two Xante Printers, Platemaker3 & Ilumina...using the standard ethernet crossover cable.

6. My whole concept was to access the AW1200 printer on the Inside wired pc, so I could send some standard .pdf files from the shop pc and have them print off on that printer, as it is a black & white hi-end and more cost effective.

PLEASE tell me this clears up any confusion. You are not living a sheltered life...unless you're in the printing / or / graphics business, you would never know the Xante Printers exist.

THANKS for your patience and continued help.

Tom

Thanks
    Tom,

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one as you have far exceeded my limited knowledge of networking. Hopefully, someone with more indepth knowledge can jump in here now that the whole picture is clear, or at least clear enough that I know I'm out of my depth. Sorry to leave you hanging but I'm sure someone else will jump in. Good Luck!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cthiggin (2013-01-04)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    THANK you for all of your help - even though we didn't resolve it, you worked like a trooper.
    FYI - I tried hooking the AW1200 to the routers' additional ethernet port, thinking I could see it remotely - didn't work.
    I "may" tri going to D-Link and seeing if there is a way through the router???
    Thanks again and have a most blessed one.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    You can't connect the printer to the PC's ethernet port. You need to connect it to an ethernet port on the router. As I think it was said before, your easiest option would be to have the router reserve an IP for the printer, so that it gets the same IP every time you connect it.
    In order to use the printer, you will have to download the drivers and software from the manufacturer site, or use a CD / DVD with such software.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    In working with RetiredGeek, "me thought" that there was not a way to access the printer on an onboard ethernet port...
    This am, as you saw above, I plugged the AW1200 into a port on the wireless modem, to no avail. I couldn't even get to it from the pc that the router is on.
    I have attached a .pdf, showing a couple of pages on my router - as I don't know how to have the router reserve an IP to the printer address. IF you could tell me AND it works, will I still be able to access printer from the main routered pc where printer "was" on the pcs' ethernet port?
    Thanks so much - just maybe we can solve this rascal.
    You intervention and thoughts are always appreciated.
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Tom,

Page 1 is the one that you need to use. Check the Enable checkbox, for Computer Name choose AW120 (for example), then choose an IP address (for example, 192.168.0.50) and then you will need to determine the Mac Address to use. Of the entries in page 1, do you know which one is for the printer? Once you do, just add the hardware address for Mac Address and then click Save and you should be all set.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello ruirib,
    I looked at page 1, and I did a printout of the "info page". I see the IP address etc but don't see any mac address. I can go into utilities for the printer and see if it's listed there. NOTE: On page one, the 8 entries below do not show the printer. My ip for printer is 192.168.0.113.
    Also, the AW1200 is NOT supposed to have the sharing feature turn on??? Correct?
    I'll report back. Thanks, Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    How do you know the IP for the printer? Is it listed? If it is, the mac address is described in the page as hardware address.
    I fear I cannot reply about sharing, I think you would need to look at the printer manual to determine that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cthiggin (2013-01-04)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib AND RetiredGeek,
    IT'S ALIVE - IT'S ALIVE.....................
    Had to change my printer to enable DHCP - Added the info to the router page - had to increase range to handle the ... ... . 113............
    Printed a test page from the remote wireless pc - FINE - Printed a test page from the router pc - FINE
    THANKS Gentlemen for your hard work - and especially rurib for showing me a different and correct avenue.
    Have a most blessed one.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm glad you got it working, Tom. Well done .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ditto friend.

Thanks
    Tom & Rui,

Nice work!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again RetiredGeek..
    Appreciate you much!
    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12