Thread: "thumbs"

Lounger
    Thanks

"thumbs"

I'm running Win7 Ultimate.

In many of my Folders I see these files with gears icon with a title of "thumbs" or "picassa". I understand those are related in some way to thumbnails or picassa files but am puzzled about their use. Unless they are somehow useful, I want them stopped. Is that possible?

If they're beneficial, how so?

Advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Emmitt

Thanks
    Hi Emmitt, make sure the highlighted option is ticked.

Capture.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Hiding" them doesn't "stop" them!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    thumbs.db files are cache files used by the system when handling thumbnail pictures in a folder. They are automatically built by the OS when a folder containing pictures is browsed.

They are generally very small, but if you are programatically searching a large complex folder structure I can see how their presense would be annoying. If you are manually browsing through a folder structure you could hide them as per Roderunner's suggestion. No: it doesn't "stop" them, but stopping them will also have some consequences that may not be desirable.

To prevent thumbs.db being created you need to turn off thumbnails. Without thumbnails however, you may not be able to recognise the content of the pictures without opening them. If that is acceptable, proceed as follows:

Click Start, in the Search Programs and Files text box enter "Folder Options" without the quotes. Open the Folder Options shortcut at the top of the menu. Under the View tab in the Advanced Settings box, tick Always show Icons, never thumbnails. Click OK to close the window. That will prevent thumbs.db being created but you now need to remove the previously created files. Open Disk Cleanup: Start > Disk Cleanup (in the search programs and files text box). Scroll down and make sure Thumbnails are selected to be removed. Click OK to remove the Thumbnails. The thumbs.db files should now also be gone.

/Edit: on close inspection, you can see the option to use icons rather than thumbnails was previously selected (but not highlighted) in Roderunner's attachment above.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2013-01-02 at 07:22.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. They were very explanatory and helpful. I will experiment with the options that you gave.

Love this forum

Emmitt

OOPS....A1ex, Your post was not missed. It also was useful info. Thanks.
    Last edited by 0sparkplugs; 2013-01-02 at 12:43. Reason: acknowledgement