Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

DNS server addresses

The DNS server addresses for my network adapter are not the same as those shown in my router. Should they be the same? (I'm not having any problems with my internet connection). Also, in the network adapter advanced settings for IPv4, in the WINS setting, I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP-is that correct?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,
    as the router is the final link between your pc & the web, it's settings will override other settings. Only my router has OpenDNS servers addresses. NETBIOS over TCP/IP is correct.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    The DNS server addresses for my network adapter are not the same as those shown in my router. Should they be the same? (I'm not having any problems with my internet connection). Also, in the network adapter advanced settings for IPv4, in the WINS setting, I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP-is that correct?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    You answered you own question, because your internet connection is working and you'd be experiencing problems if the DNS address was wrong. It's perfectly normal to have the router IP address as the DNS server for the adapters. The router will redirect any DNS queries to the ISP DNS servers or to whatever DNS servers are defined in the router.

Thanks
    as the router is the final link between your pc & the web, it's settings will override other settings.
    Not true. You can override your router's DNS settings with your Windows network settings. If you have "Obtain DNS Server automatically" set in your IPv4 properties, you will use the router's DNS server. If you set your own DNS Server IP address, you will bypass the router's DNS server and use whatever you have set.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Not true. You can override your router's DNS settings with your Windows network settings. If you have "Obtain DNS Server automatically" set in your IPv4 properties, you will use the router's DNS server. If you set your own DNS Server IP address, you will bypass the router's DNS server and use whatever you have set.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry, it is true. If the routers DNS servers are changed or not, it's setting will be used everytime regardless of other settings.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Jerry, it is true. If the routers DNS servers are changed or not, it's setting will be used everytime regardless of other settings.
    No, sorry, that simply is not true. If a given computer has different DNS settings from the router, any DNS requests will be made directly to the DNS servers and the router won't interfere.

Thanks
    Hi Rui, this is my settings:-

RR.png

If I changed it, by adding Google DNS servers, with OpenDNS servers in my Netgear router, which set would be used?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you set the DNS servers there, the ones you set there will be the ones used for that computer.

Thanks
    Thanks Rui, I have been exploring OpenDNS Knowledge Base but could not find what I was looking for.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem, George .

Thanks
    Hi Rui & Jerry,

This is my Netgear Router settings:-

1.JPG

This is the settings I changed:-

2.jpg

After rebooting my Laptop, I used this link, http://www.opendns.com/welcome/
    and got this ????

3.JPG

Thanks
    That's not what I get when I set the same DNS addresses. (Google DNS servers). I get a screen indicating I'm not using Open DNS. What do you get for DNS servers when you open a command window and type IPConfig /all?

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    George,

I don't know how OpenDNS checks what DNS servers are being used, you would need to ask OpenDNS how they do that. I don't know if it's even possible to perform such a query from your browser, I am not aware that it is. What OpenDNS may be using is your IP and may be comparing it with their own logs of DNS requests made to them. If that was the case, probably recent queries from your router could very well account for your result, but I am speculating here.

I have no doubts, however, that your computer will use it's settings to query the DNS servers. Such queries are only relayed by the router if the router is directly questioned, and that won't happen if you followed my recommendations.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    That's not what I get when I set the same DNS addresses. (Google DNS servers). I get a screen indicating I'm not using Open DNS. What do you get for DNS servers when you open a command window and type IPConfig /all?

Jerry
    I reset to use Google DNS again & rebooted. I still get:-

3.JPG

But also get:-

4.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    George,

I don't know how OpenDNS checks what DNS servers are being used, you would need to ask OpenDNS how they do that. I don't know if it's even possible to perform such a query from your browser, I am not aware that it is. What OpenDNS may be using is your IP and may be comparing it with their own logs of DNS requests made to them. If that was the case, probably recent queries from your router could very well account for your result, but I am speculating here.

I have no doubts, however, that your computer will use it's settings to query the DNS servers. Such queries are only relayed by the router if the router is directly questioned, and that won't happen if you followed my recommendations.
    Will contact OpenDNS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast