Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quick fix to kill tile/Win 8 interface?

After three weeks of new HP Pavilion laptop with Win 8 I've had enough. Reminds me of the story about how the bagpipes came to be: one Scotsman says to another, "I know -- let's invent an instrument that will really piss people off." So is there some quick way to get Win 8 back to a Win 7 interface? I've surfed around this forum for about an hour but missed the answer if it's here. I gather there are some technical advantages to Win 8, but the bar that keeps interrupting by popping out of the right side of the screen accompanied by the date and time at lower left is driving me crazy -- if I wanted to get to the tiles I'd have hit the Windows key!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2013-01-02)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a list of utilities which restore the Start button here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._for_Windows_8

Some of those utilities also provide options to boot straight to the desktop without having to go via the Metro interface, and options to disable the Charms icons.

Some of the utilities are free, some not.

Classic Shell and Start8 seem to be the ones most generally recommended.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John259 For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2013-01-02)

Thanks
    Install Classic shell and set it to:
    1. Disable Hot Spots (windows 8 Settings tab)
    2. Skip Metro Screen (windows 8 Settings tab)
    3. Aero Button (Start Button tab)
    4. Windows Vista/Windows 7 style (Start Menu Style tab)
    5. Windows key Opens Start Screen (Controls tab)

Those settings will give you a Windows 7 look and feel (including booting into the desktop) while still allowing you to call up the Charms bar with Windows key + c and go to the Metro environment with the Windows key in case you ever need them. Browse each of the other settings tabs to make any other additional changes that suit you. I also set the Control Panel to open up as a Menu under the special items tab.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2013-01-02)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I were you, I would go to online and look for Windows 7 Professional 64 bits. Be carefull not to get a Windows 7 Upgrade, because under Microsoft's rules you can't upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 unless you have the Enterprise edition. You will need a full retail, an "OEM", or a Promotional disk.

Newegg has Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM for $139.00. They have the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM for $99.00. If you look around, you may be able to beat those prices.

Two things to check for before you get anything though are

1. The EUFI Secure Boot. You may not be able to load anything except Windows 8 on your computer. Some of the new EUFI Bios check for signing before they will allow an operating system to be installed. And of course the only operating system that is signed is Windows 8.

2. If you have a new computer with new hardware, drivers may not exist for Windows 7 or older.

Get a scratch hard drive, download Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 90-day Free Evaluation, burn it to a DVD, and see if you can install it on your computer, and if you can find drivers for all the hardware, before you buy Windows 7.
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2013-01-03 at 13:57. Reason: Removed offensive comment

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I've been using Win 7 Pro 64-bit for a couple years now. A great improvement over XP. Bought the inexpensive laptop loaded with Win 8 as a backup. Thought I'd try Win 8 with an open mind. Thanks for the tip about EUFI; I was not aware of this.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I'm offended! Great improvement over XP indeed (not)! Pish posh, water off a duck's back.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
    Yes, I've been using Win 7 Pro 64-bit for a couple years now. A great improvement over XP. Bought the inexpensive laptop loaded with Win 8 as a backup. Thought I'd try Win 8 with an open mind. Thanks for the tip about EUFI; I was not aware of this.
    You may not want to spend the money to buy Windows 7 for an inexpensive laptop that you bought as a backup, so you may want to consider adding a Start button to the desktop UI [ClassicShell, Start8] or putting the Start folder on the task bar. There are other things that you can do to make Windows 8 less Windows 8.

You might also like to consider Ubuntu 12.04 [Long Term Support] or 12.10. It's free.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More fun with Windows 8 UEFI, Secure Boot, Fedora and Ubuntu
    Take a look at this. As J.A. Watson says, he has looked at exactly one system, a HP dm1 but it had a setting in the EUFI BIOS for Legacy Boot, and when he enabled it, it also disabled Secure Boot.

http://www.zdnet.com/more-fun-with-w...tu-7000009292/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'auggie'

As for the Charms Bar popping out accidentally, when you don't really intend or want it, I believe the Admin directed you to how that can be stopped.

As for you hating the Win8 Start screen & its Tiles... instead of seeking ways to disable all that, why not just not use it? Using it is optional & can be viewed as unnecessary. Just use the Desktop and the Desktop Toolbar & either WinQ or make an Applications window that can sit on the Taskbar and thus you will never have to leave Desktop & never bother w/ Start, again. Personally, I hardly ever use the Start screen for anything... if I do want an app, Store App or regular application I do so via the Applications window & never switch screens from Desktop. Might lessen your aggravation.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Thanks
    You can uninstall many of those Modern UI apps that will likely be duplicated in some form on your desktop, like the email client and all it's trimmings.
    Nobody says you have to settle for a watered down version of an email client made for low powered devices.

Reduce the amount of duplicity in Modern UI for less a intrusive desktop user experience.

Apower.jpg
    Put the power Options back on the desktop.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Any can be Uninstalled or just not used, it's all options & free-choice. I used that power options for a while. The existing, native to the OS, Alt+F4 has almost as many options offered w/out adding anything or modifying. Nothing wrong w/ either, just buckets of choices.

Screenshot (2).JPG

One doesn't need to try to find ways to kill the Start screen & its Tiles. One can chose to not use that w/out needing to kill anything. Nothing forces the Start screen to be used... 100% optional.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-01-06 at 01:05.

Thanks
    These guys here might be worth having a look at.
    Although I haven't tested any of their apps myself, they might be worth looking into.

http://winaero.com/
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Any can be Uninstalled or just not used, it's all options & free-choice. * * * Nothing forces the Start screen to be used... 100% optional.
    Thanks for your thoughts, Drew. With all respect, my experience is the opposite. I approached Win 8 wanting to use it, but found the consistent, inexplicable explosions of the charms bar and the time/date window in front of the work I was trying to do to be nothing but counterproductive. Part of it may be that the new machine is not a touchscreen, which appears to mean the sizable touch pad must also be the interface with Win 8, thus only a portion of the touch pad remains useful for scrolling, clicking, etc. Once I figured that out and realized I had to be very careful to use only a portion of the touch pad when working in Word, Excel, Outlook, the Chrome browser, or other programs -- and my efficiency correspondingly slowed -- I was able to reduce somewhat the interjection of the charms bar or appearance of the tile start screen.

Still, there remain times when I find myself stuck in a loop that begins while I'm working away, then the charms bar and time/date box appear, stealing focus, or the tile start screen appears; I hit the windows key, click the desktop tile to return to the desktop, and attempt to get back to work, but as I touch the first key or touch pad -- BOOM -- I'm back to the tiles again. I will go through this loop several times until finally I find some part of the touch pad that doesn't trigger the inexplicable pre-emption of my work. I don't know what causes this, or how any designer could consider this to be useful. It's like driving down the highway alongside a meth-addled gorilla that keeps grabbing the steering wheel to put you into the ditch. And this is after installing Classic and taking the steps recommended above. (I found Start8 to be utterly useless.)

Were that I could say that "nothing forces the Start screen to be used." This seems to be an OS designed to impede and frustrate the user.

Thanks
    The charms bar can only be activated when the mouse hits the top and bottom right side corners of the screen, and then the mouse would
    need to also be moved up or down to activate the time view (to the left lower of the desktop). There is no need to go through the start menu to get
    back to the desktop. Just move the mouse or hit win+c.
    And the charms bar when inadvertently activated does not steel focus from the mouse cursor when typing on the keyboard, which would actually be
    a totally inconvenient user experience.

So unless you are clumsy with your mouse there is no way you can inadvertently activate the charms bar. It just takes a bit of getting used to if you do get
    your mouse in the way, but it is by no means invasive to what is being done in the desktop.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast