New Lounger
    Thanks

Difficulties with patching

Hello All,

As a subscriber of Windows Secrets I have relied on Susan Bradley’s patch watch table since the feature came out. Now I have fallen behind and my list of patches from MS has gotten so big I have difficulty in prioritizing what to do. It is close to a hundred!

Is there a master list of patches for year 2012 that is available anywhere? One with Susan’s priority style of skip, wait, optional or install would be very practical and helpful. One that could be searchable would be too cool.

Typically I’ll print her column and then print a screen grab of the Microsoft notification page and painstakingly compare them. I wrote to her a few months ago and did not hear back. Suggestions for alternate (better) ways to do this are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you may be able to offer.

Casey Tichenor
    Beaverton, Oregon

Thanks
    Casey, welcome to the Lounge.

I am unaware of any such list that is more comprehensive than Susan's list.

If it helps any, I have installed all Win 7 and Win 8 updates without any adverse reaction whatsoever.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run W7 on a desktop as a home user. FWIW, when there are patches available I take an image (using Macrium Reflect) before applying any. Then, if I later experience any problems with my system, I do a restore. It takes me less than 10 minutes to do a restore. BTW, after taking the image, I apply all the patches (except the optional ones - some of which I put on on another day.)
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all, I am going to download and try Macrium. I just visited the site and am intriuged! I guess I need to be a bit more courageous when it comes to pathching things?

What started this line of inquiry was an inadvertent mass selection of patches that resulted in a failed update. I recovered but not after a eating my fair share of antiacids ... Ha!

Thanks again,

Casey

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think the imaging advice is quite sound. An image will allow you a quick recovery point you can go back to, in case something goes really wrong.
    That said, I have patched all my Windows 7 and 8 systems without big issues. There were a couple patches failing on Windows 8, but selecting and installing each of the two individually, sorted the problems and my systems are up to date, with no important patches pending.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Caseyt (2013-01-02)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Casey,

You may also want to search the Lounge for Macrium as there are many threads here that discuss the program.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I also make an image before doing updates.
    I usually keep the image until the next round of updates is offered.

Luckily I have not had to use the image but it's better to be safe then sorry.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I have chosen Acronis True Image 2013 presently as my Imaging app of choice. It is not free but has served me well for several years (3 different versions).

As does Bany, I create a new Image after each patch Tuesday for both of our laptops, and store the Images on an Ext HD. I usually keep several months worth of Images for each PC, but since Imaging only Images the used HD space, these Images are relatively small in comparison the total HD space. You also can change the compression rate for these Images, but I have found the default compression rate works well for me.

Be sure to create a Rescue Boot Disk for the Imaging app you decide on. This is necessary for restoration if your PC will not boot. Always store your Images separately from the OS partition you are Imaging.

If you have more than one partition, you can choose to Image all partitions at once. You can then choose to restore any partition you wish, or the entire HD.

I am not sure what features are lacking in the free edition of Macrium Reflect, but they also have a full featured paid edition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Yes Ted, we have spoken of this before.

I image daily to two different hard drives just in case one drive fails or an image is corrupt I have the other to fall back on.
    Once a week I make a new complete image and then incrementals daily for a week and then start over again.

I don't run the validation because it takes too long and is not that reliable anyway. Besides, I have two images on two hard drives.

I also make another one once a week just in case there is a problem with the other two.
    So, I have two images updated daily and one that is a week old.

I use TI 2010...I don't buy the yearly versions because, in my opinion, they are a waste of money... Unless there is a new feature that you may want.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"