iNET Interactive
    Thanks

With Windows 8, "off" isn't really off

LANGALIST PLUS

With Windows 8, "off" isn't really off

By Fred Langa

Win8's default shutoff and startup processes are unlike those of any previous Windows version. Completely shutting Win8 down—or doing a truly cold boot—requires a few extra steps!

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/with-windows-8-off-isnt-really-off/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2013-01-29 at 12:10.

Thanks
    Re: Fast Startups in Windows 8 and BIOS Access

I don't know about all laptops, but my Toshiba Satellite has updated Windows 8 drivers which include the ability to access and change BIOS settings from the Windows 8 desktop while the OS is running. Not ideal, and similar to the hassle in UEFI systems of having to schedule a restart in Safe Mode due to the lack of time during preboot to hit a function key. On the Satellite, the utility is called HW Setup, and it is part of Toshiba Desktop Assist.

The changes are scheduled while Windows is running, but take effect only after a reboot (regular or fast boot).

As UEFI is becoming more prevalent, expect most computers to have these utilities built in. This article shows the ins and outs of restarting into Safe Mode from various points when running Windows 8.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, other than some power saving, are there any benefits to my setting up for the 'complete shutdown'?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to respond to "Another outlook/android synching question" under Fred's article. I can't make head or tail out of what Google has on its website after reading the warning in the newsletter about Google sync going away on Jan. 30. I have one question: will I be able to sync my google calendar with my iphone's calendar after that date, if I buy a new iphone this summer? If there is an answer it was clear as MUD. So if anyone else read that and understands it enough to answer my question, would you?? My google calendar is now synching with my apple calendar on my current iphone. I want to know if I can make it sync if I buy a new iphone.

Obviously this does not seem like a question for this Windows Secrets site, but, it was in the newsletter and therefore I feel like yes, I can ask it here.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HmS-PA View Post
    So, other than some power saving, are there any benefits to my setting up for the 'complete shutdown'?
    That depends on your needs. The short answer is that the concerns all involve booting. If you wish to boot other operating systems from the hard drive, or boot from the optical, external or even network drives, the boot has to follow a total shutdown of Windows and a power cycle to clear the memory.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HmS-PA View Post
    ... but a full shutdown doesn't provide any power saving over the default (hybrid) shutdown:

When you issue a standard power-down command to Win8, it carries out a hybrid shutdown. ... It then turns off the system hardware.

(Which makes nonsense of the article headline; with Window 8, "off" IS really off.)

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    ... but a full shutdown doesn't provide any power saving over the default (hybrid) shutdown:

When you issue a standard power-down command to Win8, it carries out a hybrid shutdown. ... It then turns off the system hardware.

(Which makes nonsense of the article headline; with Window 8, "off" IS really off.)

Bruce
    Well, you're quite correct about the power comparison. In that sense, the computer is off both ways. From the standpoint of the operating system though, you have to then resume and do the "optional" shutdown to have other choices, so Windows DOES have to resume (is on). The design though, implies that such is what the majority of users will want, especially with the added speed of resuming the session (whether they know about it or not). ;-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    I am trying to respond to "Another outlook/android synching question" under Fred's article. I can't make head or tail out of what Google has on its website after reading the warning in the newsletter about Google sync going away on Jan. 30. I have one question: will I be able to sync my google calendar with my iphone's calendar after that date, if I buy a new iphone this summer? If there is an answer it was clear as MUD. So if anyone else read that and understands it enough to answer my question, would you?? My google calendar is now synching with my apple calendar on my current iphone. I want to know if I can make it sync if I buy a new iphone.

Obviously this does not seem like a question for this Windows Secrets site, but, it was in the newsletter and therefore I feel like yes, I can ask it here.
    I copied your post to the "Social Media" forum as well for greater exposure.
    Maybe someone there can answer it more fully.
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint. I just couldn't figure out where to put it. I went to Google's website and tried posting in their Calendar Sync forum threads and no answer at all to three posts.