Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 8 market share jumped in December

ZDNet has the article. Windows overall market share advanced while Apple share declined.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    ZDNet has the article. Windows overall market share advanced while Apple share declined.
    Interesting. Win 8 market share leaped 0.63 percentage points in a month. At that rate, it should attain Win 7's 45.11% market share in a bit under 6 years (almost twice as long as it took Win 7 to reach that level).

Guess it all depends on how you look at it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the other hand there is this:

Windows 8 Uptake Falls Behind Windows Vista Pace
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Win...are,20030.html

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What a surprise it's not selling well. MS thumbed their nose at traditional desktop users with the new interface when it wasn't well recieved in the first public beta. Then they tried blocking all work arounds for the next beta release. Initally the apps in the app store were mostly junk and still leave a lot to be desired. And this was with mostly computer geeks not the general public. I think many people have missed that hardware improvements like chipsets and ram have slowed alot for average users about the time windows 7 arrived. It used to be you bought a new box and a year or so later it was a dog. Windows 7 hit at a time when for average users their present boxes works fine and then they look at Windows 8 and think why bother with that mess. First impressions are important.
    Joe

Thanks
    I believe many of the sales figures are skewered by the weak economy. Many of us just cannot afford to purchase new PCs right now. There are too many higher priority spending items, such as food and housing.

Because of this new PC sales are down. As I believe Joe stated at some point in time, the majority of new OS installations have historically come from new PC sales. The majority of users do not upgrade their OS until they buy new PCs.

I believe a major point of the original linked article is that Win 8, and even more Windows in general, has increased market share whereas Apple has decreased.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    With changes in market share that small I would be hesitant in reading anything into the numbers yet. I skimmed the referenced ZDNet article as I prefer to see the raw data.

Take a look at the November Data and contrast against the December Data.

I would say the Apple percentages as given by OSX are fairly stable with only a marginal drop off across most of the versions. What is noticeable however is a reduction in XP based systems and I might hazard a guess that this is where quite a lot of the Win8 increase comes from. Windows 7 increased a bit, but Vista stayed stable - curious how users drop XP but not Vista, when both are approaching EOL.

Also, observe there are no tablet or smartphone data included (it is filtered for desktops). Apple will probably hold a lead in the tablet market, but will be significantly challenged by Android, and this year by Windows 8 powered tablets too.

The other point to note is the methodology used to gather the data. The methodology summary appears on face value to be clean and not skewed. But then I see that 76% of the websites used to gather the data participate in pay per click programs to drive traffic to their sites. Could one construct a case that says that Windows users are more likely to click on pay-per-click adverts that Apple users? Possibly. Maybe even probably, but it would be difficult to know by how much. I might however contend that in the run up to the holidays, more internet shopping takes place than at any other time of year with signifiacntly increased pay per click advertising pushing machines vendors. That surely must have some effect on the new kid in town, even if it is only 0.7%.

What will be really interesting is the January data, after all those new shiny presents get onto the web.

In summary, "Lies, damned lies and statistics".....with apologies to any actuaries or statisticians reading this.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Also, observe there are no tablet or smartphone data included (it is filtered for desktops).
    The tablet/smartphone data is available - but only in a separate category.

While it's not perfect, I'd have far more faith in usage information based on visits to websites rather than sales, because of so many people saying on forums that they've tried Windows 8 (either as an upgrade or on a new computer) and then rejecting it in favour of an earlier version.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    While it's not perfect, I'd have far more faith in usage information based on visits to websites rather than sales, because of so many people saying on forums that they've tried Windows 8 (either as an upgrade or on a new computer) and then rejecting it in favour of an earlier version.
    100% agree there. The size of the data set and it's source does appear to be very good. Like I said, January will be telling.

The tablet/smartphone data is available - but only in a separate category.
    I didn't see that at first, thanks.

Exploring the data some more, I see the trend chart of "brands" of OS's is pretty much flat over the year, while splitting down into the detail there is the expected drop off in XP corresponding to the increase in Win7 and an interesting increase in "other OS" starting in the summer.

Presumably that "other OS" category includes Windows 8, as it has a big jump between July and August and another one between October and November. The increase in "other OS" from November to December is more modest by contrast.

Finally, to pick up Ted's point, there does appear to be a more meaningful reduction in OSX versions across the year in the trend chart, but then by "brand", MAC OS appears to have increased through the year, which on face value doesn't make sense???

I could repeat my statistics quote again....

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Also, Ted many are going w/ the Win8 Upgrade rather than buying new machines per se. Why send the bread for a new machine when Win8 runs so nicely on existing gear?

And no matter what any stats are or how they are deciphered on a strictly personal note I am really enjoying Win8. Performance is terrific. Cool Features & navigation is just a downright joy, it's just so easy to bop around in it. For myself I tire of all the anti Win8 UI rhetoric. I'm sorry but, I can see no validity in it or to it.

I am running XP, Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 simultaneously all on the same non-Touch PC and out of the 4 of them Windows 8 is definitely my favorite., no matter what the 'trends' may or may not be or may become.

Pls, excuse if my comment here is not exactly completely in keeping w/ the OP.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking at those stats, I have a couple of observations.

Firstly, RT is grouped in with desktop OS's instead of phones and tablets. That is a mistake, isn't it?

Secondly, "Windows 8 Touch" appears as an item. I've also seen this listed on some retailers' web sites. Does it exist and if so what is it?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    John,

Yes, that would be a mistake.

No, "Windows 8 Touch" as far as I am concerned is not 'an item'. Win8 is Win8, period. If it is on a touch capable machine then it can be used that way... if it's on a non-touch machine then it can't be used that way BUT, either way it is, still, Windows 8, period. Win8 is Touch capable but, that depends on the hardware on which it is running. The hardware can vary but, it's the same Windows 8 regardless of the gear involved.

(some things can't help but, make an IT Pro chuckle )

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes....and no.

As Drew says there is no such beast as Windows 8 Touch. Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro are touch enabled, but then so is Windows 7 and you don't here about Windows 7 Touch. So it's curious where that term came from in the report.

However from a marketing perspective, Windows 8RT could better be described as Windows 8 Touch: in the eyes of the public the RT based tablets are much more aligned to iOS and Android based tablets: locked down to Metro and apps available from MS only. The name Windows 8 Touch suggests a tablet directly competing with classic iOS and Android tablets.

I would suggest the Surface (and other Win8/Win8Pro) tablets are not in direct competition to iOS or Android tablets, but with their combined Metro and Desktop UI Windows 8 (and 8 Pro) they are carving out a new niche somewhere between classic tablets and laptops.

Forty-nine years ago, Bob Dylan wrote a classic that describes what I think lies ahead:

Come gather 'round people
    Wherever you roam
    And admit that the waters
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    You'll be drenched to the bone
    If your time to you
    Is worth savin'
    Then you better start swimmin'
    Or you'll sink like a stone
    For the times they are a-changin'.

Wow, that really makes me feel old!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Drew says there is no such beast as Windows 8 Touch. Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro are touch enabled, but then so is Windows 7 and you don't hear about Windows 7 Touch.
    That's what I thought, which is why I raised the question.

Some retailers and other people seem to be using the term "Windows 8 Touch" to refer to the operating system pre-installed on new laptops which have touchscreens. For example, Google for: "windows 8 touch" site:tesco.com (Tesco is a major retailer in the UK.)

As you both suggest, these touchscreen laptops (presumably) have exactly the same Windows 8 as on non-touchscreen computers. Ah well, it all adds to the Windows 8/Windows RT confusion so perhaps the whole situation is more appropriately described by Mr Guthrie than Mr Dylan:

Walk right in it's around the back
    Just a half a mile from the railroad track
    You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant
    Last edited by John259; 2013-01-04 at 08:17.

Thanks
    I think that anyone who understands the musical references is getting pretty old.

By the way, I DO!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suggest the Surface (and other Win8/Win8Pro) tablets are not in direct competition to iOS or Android tablets, but with their combined Metro and Desktop UI Windows 8 (and 8 Pro) they are carving out a new niche somewhere between classic tablets and laptops.
    I don't think there's any doubt about that, Microsoft seems uniquely positioned there, the real question I think is, how big is that niche? Can one device live in both worlds or do folks really want just touch for smaller screens and some real estate to work with when on the desktop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast