New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows can't connect to (some) WiFi

hi,

i use windows 8 on my netbook (asus 1011px) and i'm very glad with it's performance
    but there is a problem with wifi connection
    i can connect to some access point and can't connect to some others

after days of investigation, i found that the problem is at the wifi channel
    my windows 8 can connect to access point that using channel 6 (at 2,4GHz) only
    if i change my access point channel, it can't connect (even cant's see the SSID)

when i open Device Manager's window, it says that my driver was installed properly using the newest driver (from windows i think)
    unfortunately, there are no updates for my atheros AR9285 driver
    i have try to use windows xp & 7 driver, but rejected

i have been installed windows XP & 7 (even l***x) on this machine and there are no problem like this before
    (i can connect to any access point using previous installed os-es)

anybody help me please ....

Thanks
    You might check the drivers for your network card. I do not see this problem with my router. I have never been denied access to any Wi-Fi system I have tried to connect to unless I did not know the access password. I can easily connect to any open access point.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yeah i think it's all about driver
    because i can connect to every access point when using windows XP, 7 & l***x on the same machine before upgrade to windows 8

windows 8 Device Manager says that i have recent updated driver
    so i don't have to update the driver (i have been try to update using windows xp & 7 driver but rejected)

and unfortunately there are no drivers update for AR9285 newer than windows 8 has

there are some problems with AR9285 on windows 8 (worse than mine)

now i'm running l***x on this machine and everything works fine

hope this will fixed in next windows 8 update

Thanks
    Did you check Device Manager to see if you could roll back the driver? It's possible that during or after installation Windows 8 installed an updated driver.

If you do have an option to roll back the driver (you may not, depending on the above) that might work.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Many devices work quite well with the Win 7 drivers. As bbearren has stated, perhaps you can install the Win 7 driver. Ignore the warning that you already have the latest driver and install it anyway.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Teloris.

Maybe it is not a question of driver in your LAN. There is a lot more to do in this regard. Do you own the AP ? Who owns it ? Try the 192.168.1.1 command at the URL line of your browser. When you see the AP on your screen, investigate the DHCP user list.

There is an immense lot of stuff to learn here, are you able to see your way through this maze ? You have to consider your problem "out of the box", maybe. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Good morning, Teloris.

Maybe it is not a question of driver in your LAN. There is a lot more to do in this regard. Do you own the AP ? Who owns it ? Try the 192.168.1.1 command at the URL line of your browser. When you see the AP on your screen, investigate the DHCP user list.

There is an immense lot of stuff to learn here, are you able to see your way through this maze ? You have to consider your problem "out of the box", maybe. Jean.
    It would appear that since he can "connect to every access point when using windows XP, 7 & l***x on the same machine before upgrade to windows 8" that this is more a Windows 8 issue, and most likely, driver.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Bear, hello.
    Going to the AP at DHCP, one can tell if one's machine is broadcasting ( or cable connected ) at all. Knowing, if indeed one is seen on the AP, would help me to further make up my mind. If he is not seen, then it would be evident that a driver is not installed. IMNSHO. JP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Bear, hello.
    Going to the AP at DHCP, one can tell if one's machine is broadcasting ( or cable connected ) at all. Knowing, if indeed one is seen on the AP, would help me to further make up my mind. If he is not seen, then it would be evident that a driver is not installed. IMNSHO. JP.
    He is posting to this thread using his Asus 1011px netbook after switching back to Linux. He also states that he has no connection problems with any AP running XP or Windows 7. Through his own investigation he has determined that the Windows 8 driver is only using channel 6 (2.4GHz), and AP's using a channel other than channel 6 are the ones he can't connect to.

A Linux driver for his WiFi adapter works fine. An XP driver for his WiFi adapter works fine. A Windows 7 driver for his WiFi works fine. I'm guessing the Windows 8 driver for his WiFi is the most likely culprit, based on the investigation he has already performed.

If he can force-install a Windows 7 driver, that may well cure his single channel woes. If not, he can run one of the other OS's while he's waiting for MS or Atheros to come up with a working Windows 8 driver.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    THANKS! I had to regester just to say thanks. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my wifi quit working a few days ago. My wifi router was set to automatically scan for the best channel, and it had changed itself to channel 6, which apparently Windows 8 can't connect to. I just manually set it to channel 8 and voila! For pete's sake Microsoft, get your act together. Guess who the driver provider is "Microsoft", I was using the manufacturer's driver before upgrading to Win 8, at which point Microsoft decided their driver was better. They were sadly mistaken. Oh well, I'll leave it hard coded to channel 8 for now, since no one in my neighborhood seems to be on 8 anyway, but if I notice a problem with it later I'll try switching back to the manufacturer's Win 7 driver. Anyway, my point is thanks! I would have never thought of changing the channel if I hadn't seen this. You are my hero.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge. As you have discovered, there's lots of useful information available.

Glad you got your problem sorted out.

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksenter View Post
    THANKS! I had to regester just to say thanks. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my wifi quit working a few days ago. My wifi router was set to automatically scan for the best channel, and it had changed itself to channel 6, which apparently Windows 8 can't connect to. I just manually set it to channel 8 and voila! For pete's sake Microsoft, get your act together. Guess who the driver provider is "Microsoft", I was using the manufacturer's driver before upgrading to Win 8, at which point Microsoft decided their driver was better. They were sadly mistaken. Oh well, I'll leave it hard coded to channel 8 for now, since no one in my neighborhood seems to be on 8 anyway, but if I notice a problem with it later I'll try switching back to the manufacturer's Win 7 driver. Anyway, my point is thanks! I would have never thought of changing the channel if I hadn't seen this. You are my hero.
    Glad you got the issue resolved. Microsoft did not decide their driver is better. In most cases like this the peripheral vendor has decided not to supply a Windows 8 driver so Microsoft has provided a basic driver. These basic drivers let the device function but do not take advantage of all the features a device may have. HP is notorious for not providing updated drivers when a new Windows version is released. Almost all scanner vendors do the same - that is not provide new drivers.

Joe