New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Outlook 2010 with POP3 ... will it work on Windows 8?

My manager is having an issue running a new copy of Outlook 2010 with POP3 on his new Windows 8 HP desktop. According to what I am reading there is an issue with POP3 with the Windows 8 mail client but I'm seeing conflicting posts on other forums that you can get it to work. Can someone please confirm that Outlook 2010 configured with POP3 will work on Windows 8? And if so ... are there any special tricks?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Outlook 2010 with POP3 will work on Windows 8. The problem is with the Metro mail app, which does not support POP3.

There are no special tricks needed. You just configure it as you did in any previous OS.

Thanks
    I have Outlook installed in my Windows 8 dual boot, but I haven't configured it yet. When I get a chance, I'll boot into 8 and give it a go.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I booted into Windows 8, launched Outlook 2010 and it opened on the desktop, ready to be configured. I chose one of my pop3 accounts, and it was relatively painless.

After entering the email address and password, Outlook went online and picked up all the configuration data from the pop3 server and filled in the blanks.

The only thing left for me to do were the preferences. After I clicked Finish, Outlook 2010 downloaded all the email for that account.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just for the record: Outlook for Windows 8 is not the same program as Outlook 2010 that comes as part of Office 2010. It can get confusing outlook for Windows 8 will not support Pop3.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by quincey View Post
    Just for the record: Outlook for Windows 8 is not the same program as Outlook 2010 that comes as part of Office 2010. It can get confusing outlook for Windows 8 will not support Pop3.

Hope this helps.
    There is no such program as Outlook for Windows 8. Windows 8 has a Mail app that does not support POP as RUI indicated. There also is a Web Mail app Outlook.com that is available to all windows OS's and does support POP. One other option is Windows Live Mail which also supports POP.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    There is no such program as Outlook for Windows 8. Windows 8 has a Mail app that does not support POP as RUI indicated. There also is a Web Mail app Outlook.com that is available to all windows OS's and does support POP. One other option is Windows Live Mail which also supports POP.

Jerry
    Plus the application named Outlook which is in the various Office editions that run on Windows 8.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    There is no such program as Outlook for Windows 8.

Jerry
    Microsoft sells a standalone version of Outlook (as well as other standalone parts of the Office Suite). While it isn't called "Outlook for Windows 8", it will install and run just fine on Windows 8.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    True but its obvious that wasn't the program quincy was referring to in that he stated it didn't support Pop as Outlook does.

Jerry