New Lounger
    Thanks

Dual Boot XP and 7

I realize that this is old, but please help anyhow. Because of problems running certain software in Windows 7, I need to be able to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7. If I must wipe the HDD clean I will but I don't want to. Right now I have 3 partitions and XP is on C. How can I set 7 up so I can choose between XP and 7 at startup? Thanks in advance fro your help.

Thanks
    Do you have both OSs showing up on the boot screen? If not perhaps installing EasyBCD and adding Win 7 to the MBR will solve your problem.

EasyBCD.jpg

Use the Add new entry selection
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jimrob,

If I read your post you do not yet have Win-7 installed, is that correct?

If so, when you install 7 do a custom install and it should setup the dual boot for you.
    What you want to do to prepare is to use a partition manager and clear some space for the Windows 7 install. You can do this by shrinking your existing partitions to squeeze out some of the unused space and then move them to get all the unallocated space together in one spot on the disk. Also make sure there are not any unlettered partitions as you can only have 4 Primary partitions on a physical drive. If there are already 4 primary partitions you'll need to convert one, most likely your data partition, to a Logical partition.
    Partitions.JPG
    Note: You can't do this with the builtin Windows utilities you'll need a third-party free partition manager like Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Manager.

Of course, make an Image backup before attempting this just in case!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I missed that RG. I assumed the OP had already installed both and was having problems with the MBR. You are right. With Win XP installed, installing Win 7 in a separate partition will automatically change the MBR so that both Win XP and Win 7 are available to boot to.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd really recommend considering running XP as a virtual machine under Windows 7. This was the way I went after trying dual boot. Among others, this avoids all the hassle of rebooting, gives almost immediate access to the XP applications, and allows drag-n-drop between the two OSs. Installing e.g. VMware Player is easy and it is free.

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. Can I do this if Windows 7 is 64 bit Home Premium and XP is 32 bit Professional?

If so, can you direct me to "how-to" instructions?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JimRob,

Assuming this was directed at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrob2 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Can I do this if Windows 7 is 64 bit Home Premium and XP is 32 bit Professional?
    I'm using VMware Player with Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium. As far as I know, there should be no problem with 64 bit. I am using XP Home 32 bit, but again there should not be a problem with Professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrob2 View Post
    If so, can you direct me to "how-to" instructions?
    I have found the free VMwarePlayer the best approach. You can download this from Download VMware Player. I think you'll be required to register in order to download. If you're not comfortable with that, you can also download from FileHippo VMware Player 5.0.1.

I found the user manual quite clear. Download this from VMware Player Documentation

There's also a good user forum at VMware Player Community, but I think you'll need to have registered with VMware first if you wish to post.

What normally gives the greatest problem is installing the appropriate VMware tools for the guest. But with XP that should not be too much of a challenge. It gets more difficult with Linux guests.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions...

Chris