Thanks

DeFrag/Trim an SSD Under Windows 8 Disk Optimization

This answer to a question about defragging/trimming a Solid State Drive running under Windows 8 may be of interest. It seems (if I understand correctly) that trim is normally done automatically, but you can choose to trim manually if you wish using Windows 8 "Optimize Drives". I note that by default, Windows 8 DOES include an SSD in scheduled optimisation. Should one disable this, or leave it "as is"? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-4388bd6ee835
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would leave the default optimisation as it is if you are using an SSD on Windows 8.

Traditional defrag is disabled in that optimisation (it has zero effect on read/write speed on an SSD and could in the long term result in additional wear).

Trim commands are sent to the SSD only during idle times and the SSD firmware will determine when to implement the Trim - the OS has no control if, or when, the Trim is actually implemented.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Its included in the list of drives to optimize but under Current status it should read Optimization not available. As mentioned there is no point in optimizing an SSD and it can affect the lifespan of the drive detrimentally if it is optimized.

Thanks
    Its included in the list of drives to optimize but under Current status it should read Optimization not available. As mentioned there is no point in optimizing an SSD and it can affect the lifespan of the drive detrimentally if it is optimized
    As Tinto correctly pointed out, Windows 8 optimization will use Trim commands instead of the traditional Defrag and will enhance SSD operation, not hurt it. Leave the default setting as is for SSDs. They should not be disabled

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe we're looking at different optimization screens. For SSDs exclusively, doesn't matter if its disabled or not as long as the drive is being correctly identified as an SSD. Only platter drives are affected by that setting.

optimize drives.png

Thanks
    @F.U.N. downtown. My installation of Windows 8 identifies my SSD and DOES make it available for optimisation (if clicked, "trimming" is performed). Nevertheless, I understand and accept that one should leave trimming to be performed automatically as, and when, firmware determines it to be necessary.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder what the deciding factor(s) for that discrepancy is then. I was assuming TRIM is completely automatic and determined by drive firmware when it met certain criteria.

Thanks
    FUN, here's what my optimize screen looks like:
    Optimize.PNG

As I said earlier, the Windows 8 defaults work fine for SSDs and will periodically optimize the drives via TRIM.
    See:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/19/why-weekly-defrags-are-turned-on-for-ssds-under-windows-8/

Did you turn off defrag in the scheduler by any chance?

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

petesmst (2013-01-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been trying to find out if interface makes a difference (mine's USB3) but I keep finding nothing definitive and opinions going both ways. Its leaning toward not TRIM supported though as at least a couple of SSD reviews state that it is not, but that since garbage collection works well enough now, the loss of TRIM is not significant.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-01-05 at 12:02.