New Lounger
    Thanks

Putting Wi-Fi router's security to the test - Problem

Ref 12/20/12 Newsletter article by Fred Langa on the subject, I downloaded the Backtrack 32 Bit software and created the DVD from the ISO file.

My Asus laptop normally runs 64 bit Windows7 quite comfortably using either wired or wireless connections. When I boot with the DVD, Backtrack loads properly. Following a startx command and resulting execution, I attempt to connect to the WiFi network in my home. The home system is a NetGear WNDR3700 with both a standard and guest network SSID. Both are using WPA2-PSK [AES] security. Backtrack can see both these networks as well as a couple of others in my neighborhood. However, I am unable to get Backtrack to connect using the SSID / passphase associated with either network. I can connect using the wired connection, but not wireless.

I have even tried to do the update using the wired service and still I am not able connect using the wireless routes.

So I am stuck at the bullet following Figure 7 in Fred's article.

Any ideas on how I can get a WiFi connection?

Tom

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you remember to unplug the WIRED network when testing the wireless? BTW, if your computer is 64 bit, you should do everything 64 bit.

Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't run Backtrack, but am aware that wireless connections for Linux are setup the same way. In order to connect, you must match all of the parameters on both devices. You need the SSID, the BSSID (or MAC address), the wireless class, the frequency, the encryption type, and the passkey. These all have to be configured before the connection attempt is transmitted.
    Last edited by hemeloser; 2013-01-31 at 01:02.