Lounger
    Thanks

Can you put a style on the Ribbon in 2010?

Hi folks,

A friend wants to put her commonly-used styles directly onto the Ribbon in Word 2010 and asked for my help doing this. Unfortunately I don't even have 2010 which has made researching this a little difficult. A Google search for "add styles to the Word 2010 ribbon" gave no results; there doesn't seem to be a way to put them directly on the Quick Access Toolbar in 2007 either. Those two points combined with the many complaints here and on other forums about how terrible the Styles pane is leads me to believe it can't be done, or everyone would just do it and get rid of the Styles pane completely.

All of this to ask: can you put a button for a style directly on the Ribbon in 2010?

Thanks,

Beej

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In the ribbon, styles are displayed in the styles gallery. So a search for "add styles to the styles gallery" gives good results. I can recommend two of the results that I got:

How to control the Quick Styles gallery on the Home tab in Word

Add and remove styles from the Quick Styles gallery

Shauna Kelly's page also describes how to put the styles into the order you want. Her article does not mention, though, that if several quick styles have the same recommend value, they will show in alphabetical order in the gallery.

There also were several other sites that could be helpful.
    Pam Caswell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pam. As always, you're very helpful.

Bottom line: you can't put a style button directly on the Ribbon; you can only add it to the Style Gallery area.

I'll add that to the growing list of reasons not to use Word 2007/2010.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You are welcome.

I don't know much about xml ribbon customization or VBA, but it should be possible to add a style button to the ribbon. But I'd have to ask, why? As a freelancer who works at many large and small company sites, I've watched how the styles gallery encourages novice and occasional users to apply styles. For long-time and expert users the ribbon was a shock to the system. So for me it was occasional users' descriptions of the usefulness of features I had dismissed as fluff that encouraged me to really learn W2007.

I'm not trying to convince you to run right out and buy the latest version of Word. I'm just suggesting that, should you ever be faced with using it, you give it a chance.

Cheers
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2013-01-03 at 13:23.
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2010, you can create a custom tab on the Ribbon (without using VBA); if you also create a macro to apply a specific style, you can add the macro to your custom tab. (You can't add commands to built-in tabs.) Word 2007 does not allow for the creation of custom tabs.

I agree with Pam that the ability to add styles to the Styles Gallery on the Home tab in both versions of Word makes access to those styles very easy and is essentially almost like adding the styles directly to the Ribbon. Not sure what you have in mind, but it's very possible the Styles Gallery would be an acceptable option for you. Just my two cents.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com