Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry. I got in a hurry.

WMP found some sort of DRM that prevented it burning the CD.

Did you finalize the CD with Nero?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I thought that I had, but I've already trashed the CD's, so I'll try re-burning when I get some time, and verify that my Nero settings include finalizing the CD.

Thanks for the suggestion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, Joe, I just burned another audio CD (same .wav files) using Nero. The default for an audio CD was to finalize the CD, so I assume that the first Nero burn was also finalized (I didn't change the settings between burns). To my surprise (and confusion), this disk plays on all my players. I can't explain it.

I also downloaded (but haven't installed yet) two freeware burning programs, Burnaware Free and Finalburner Free. Do you (or anyone else) have experience with either of these programs?

Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I do not have any experience with those other programs.

As far as the CD you just burned goes, who knows? Through the years I've seen many reports of strange happenings with Nero. Then again, you could just had a bad CD or two. I've also seen CD burners not react well when multiple CDs (maybe 8 or 10) are burned consecutively.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got back on this thread to give you all some additional information.

I installed Burnaware Free (one of the free burning programs that I mentioned above). All I can say is that it's slick and it's quick! It does what it says, no frills, simple interface, and the audio CD's seem to play on everything. Based on my experience, I would recommend it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Easy Peasy

Sorry to butt in so late but you may also like a Firefox add on called "Download Helper". Places an icon in your toolbar which rotates when the web page you are on has a downloadable item playing. Simply click on it and select the appropriate file to download. Firefox will pull it own pretty quickly. I then use "AoA Audio Extractor" free (http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm) to strip the audio and burn with "CDBurnerXP" (http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download). I also have an old version of Nero which works well but find the above to be very simple.
    There's a couple of other programs you may take an interested in which you should use to ensure all of the track levels are about the same else you may be forever adjusting the playback volume for each track. "Wavosaur" is specific to .WAV files an does them in bulk. I think Itunes might do that automatically but I never use Itunes.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a stream recorder called total recorder.
    http://www.totalrecorder.com/
    I think it cost about $15-$20. It will record any audio played through your sound card. It does it in real time, so if you are watching a 3 minute youtube video, it takes 3 minutes to record. You can output as WAV or MP3 and all the usual formats. I have never tried any of the download video, then extract audio methods mentioned in this thread. They may be faster than real time. But I have been using total recorder for years and it suits my needs, which are low. I only use it when I can't find a song on spotify or other methods. I did discover it will NOT record skype calls.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Audacity is a freeware audio program that will record streaming audio and has many other functions that allow you to edit sound files. ImgBrn is another freeware program that allows burning to CD or DVD of just about anything. I have used both for years and reccomend them highly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    malaus, thanks for the info. I had used Easy Youtube Video Downloader, but I made the mistake of installing the ad-supported version to allow higher quality downloads. This ended up installing adware on my computer, so it's gone now! I will try your suggestion (listed as Video Download Helper when I did a search - I assume this is the same Download Helper that you recommend?).
    As for CDBurnerXP, it did not work on my computer (see my post earlier in this thread concerning the problem).

dalejanus, thanks for responding. I found that once I downloaded the video, FormatFactory (recommended by Banyarola, above) does a great job of extracting the audio, and it's free. But thanks for the suggestion.

nigelb, thanks for the suggestions. I've heard of Audacity,but never used it. I have used ImgBrn in the past to burn ISO images, but I had removed it a while ago (because I rarely used it, not because of any problems). I'd forgotten about it, but unless BurnAware gives me problems, I think I'll use that since it's already installed and does what I want.

Lounger
    Thanks
    LesF - yes that's the downloader.
    Audacity is brilliant for what it does but it is only one file at a time so a bit cumbersome. I have a number of different products on my PC which all do similar things but none does everything. The result is that I use the one that works best for my purpose at the time. never used Format factory but it looks pretty good.
    You could also check out SMplayer (http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/index.php?tr_lang=en) which is a player but also a Utube downloader with lots of options for output.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I was able to accomplish what I want using some of the programs that you recommended.

To download the Youtube video, I use the Download Helper extension in Firefox.
    Then I use FormatFactory to rip the audio from the downloaded file and save it as a WAV file (although there are other format choices).
    I burn the WAV files to an audio CD using Burnaware Free.

All works well, all programs are freeware. Thanks for your inputs. I hope this information helps someone else.

Thanks
    Glad it all worked out...

You can't beat FREE...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12