Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving YouTube sound track

I hope I've posted in the correct forum; if not, my apologies.

Running Win XP with SP3, Firefox as my browser.

Is there any way that I can download and save the sound track from a YouTube video?

TIA for any ideas.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Sure there is.

I use Format Factory, it's free, and convert the FLV Youtube file to an MP3 audio file and that will save just the audio portion of the file.

You can get it here: http://www.pcfreetime.com/
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Banyarola. I've downloaded the file (but not yet installed it).
    From the literature on the web site, it looks like the program strips the audio from a video that's already been downloaded. I also need to some way to download the youtube video before I can use Format Factory on it. Is that correct? If so, how can I download the video with Firefox and maintain maximum audio quality?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to tools-add-ons in the firefox menu and search for YouTube downloader. Read the last few posts on page 2 from Downloading from YouTube in the Social Media category of the Lounge for more info.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, F.U.N. I installed Easy YouTube Downloader extension in Firefox.

All works well, now.

I downloaded the Youtube videos using Easy YouTube Downloader. Then I stripped the audio to .wav files using FormatFactory, and I burned the .wav files to an audio CD using iTunes.

At first, I burned the audio CD using Nero Burning ROM (an older version that I have), but the CD my Philips player wouldn't recognize the CD (don't know why - it played fine on my Sony player, and on my car player). So I tried to burn the audio CD using Windows Media Player, but it refused to burn the CD because the burning rights (or something like that) were missing. But iTunes worked fine.

I'd sure like to understand why the disk I burned with Nero wouldn't work on my Philips player. Any ideas? Also, did Windows Media Player balk because I'm violating some sort of copyright? Not sure what's going on here, but in any case, I've got a path that works.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Thanks
    Les, I use CDburnerxp for all my burning...You can get it here http://cdburnerxp.se/
    It's also free..

I never liked NERO...It seems to invade every part of your system.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Banyarola. I've downloaded the file. I'll install and test it tomorrow (it's 2 A.M. here in Denver, and I just know I'll screw up anything I try at this hour).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Banyarola,

OK, I installed CDburnerxp, but it would not open on my computer (message saying that CDburnerxp encountered an error and must close). Tried installing again, with same error on start, so I uninstalled it from my system.

I'm still interested in an audio CD burner, since Nero audio CD's are not universally recognized, and iTunes is difficult to use. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
    Download it again and install it.
    Maybe you a corrupt download.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I did it. Still the same problem, so I unistalled it again. Why can't programs do a clean uninstall? This one leaves crap strewn around the registry after an uninstall, wastes a lot of my time cleaning up after it. Not limited to this program, by the way (just a rant).

So I guess I'll just search for a another freebie burner program, but I'd prefer one that's recommended by a satisfied user.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    It's possible your drive isn't supported.
    On the download page there is a list of supported drives.

I run it on XP also and never had any problems.

I'm sure there are other free burners but I am not familiar with any of them.

Why don't you use the XP burner to burn to the disk you are using?
    Last edited by Banyarola; 2013-01-06 at 15:47.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 2 burners, an LG and a Sony, certainly one or the other should be supported (never had a program that wouldn't work with them). However, I don't think that's the problem, as the program never really opens (stops dead with the error message and closes). I believe it never gets to the point where it even functions, much less rejects a drive.

Question about letting XP do the burning: I always thought that the XP burn function (which I've never used) is only for copying files to the drive, not for formatting the files and resulting CD as an audio CD. Am I wrong? How would I go about burning an audio CD from .wav files using XP?

Thanks
    I think you are right...I never really used XP burning and I usually only make data disks..

Why don't you check out the support forums for CDburner at https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/

I'm sure there is a solution to the problem you are having with CDburnerXP..

Other then what I suggested I don't know what else to advise you to do..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Thanks, F.U.N. I installed Easy YouTube Downloader extension in Firefox.

All works well, now.

I downloaded the Youtube videos using Easy YouTube Downloader. Then I stripped the audio to .wav files using FormatFactory, and I burned the .wav files to an audio CD using iTunes.

At first, I burned the audio CD using Nero Burning ROM (an older version that I have), but the CD my Philips player wouldn't recognize the CD (don't know why - it played fine on my Sony player, and on my car player). So I tried to burn the audio CD using Windows Media Player, but it refused to burn the CD because the burning rights (or something like that) were missing. But iTunes worked fine.

I'd sure like to understand why the disk I burned with Nero wouldn't work on my Philips player. Any ideas? Also, did Windows Media Player balk because I'm violating some sort of copyright? Not sure what's going on here, but in any case, I've got a path that works.

Thanks to both of you for the help.
    Did you have Nero convert the MP3 files to CD audio? If not, then I'd guess that your Phillips player does not support plaing MP3s.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, MP3 files played no part in the conversion. As noted above, "...I stripped the audio to .wav files using FormatFactory, and I burned the .wav files to an audio CD...

The final audio CD's (from Nero or iTunes) ended up with .cda files on the disk, and upon inspection of the files on both disks, I could not identify any difference. The Nero disk would just not work in the Philips player. In fact, the Philips player would not even acknowledge that a disk had been inserted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast