Banned Member
    Thanks

Smile Hyper-V Guidance

If anyone would like guidance in configuring VMs, like XP or Windows 7, in Hyper-V please feel free to ask me. I'd be glad to tell you how.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    A response to a thread asking about VMs would be sufficient. We ask that members post in the public forums. We strongly discourage private requests for help.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    PMs or anything similar were not suggested or even implied... merely a usual, normal response w/in a thread.

Thanks
    I have heard that a 3rd party VM might be better than Hyper-V, but do not use either. Any opinions on that?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, Ted, none from me, @ least. I've had the understanding the VMware is quite good but, as to better or worse. I just know I find no problems w/ Hyper-V or previous MS virtualization software. And certainly, since Hyper-V comes in the Windows OS it plays very nicely w/ Windows & other MS material. So, myself, I'm not as enlightened about 3rd Party virtual offerings as others may be.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    From appstorm.net;

Hyper-V under Windows 8 feels at least close to VMWare Workstation. From my testing so far, it’s missing several features. There is no support for 3D hardware acceleration in Hyper-V, which VMWare suppoers.

The loss of the ability to connect a USB device plugged into your host computer to a virtual machine instead also is a noticeable loss. The integration of the clipboard between virtual machines and the host server also isn’t as clean as VMWare.
    Hardware accelerated 3D might not matter as much as screen resolution supported (if it doesn't go hand in hand with hardware acceleration). Loss of a USB capture is kind of a big one; its really nice to instantly expand a VMs capacity to one or two terabytes and then switch it back over to the host when finished. Just using a VM for testing though I guess one wouldn't need that. Clipboard comes in handy once in a while but I don't think its used enough between client and host to matter too much. More likely to use network sharing for the file itself instead of clipboard exchanges.

The advantage of Hyper-V in W8 seems to be the ability of live migration so one can keep it running while moving it somewhere else. Does that mean a copy of it or an actual move? Sounds like a neat trick either way but I don't know what value it might have to a home user.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Live migration is a move. I find this sort of advanced feature to be something nice to play with in a home environment but few home users really have a use for it.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Idea was offering to help people trying to set up a vm cus some of the steps aren't all that obvious. Let's keep this thread for us giving instruction.

Shouldn't general discussion of Hyper-V, pros or cons, be in another thread?