2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's the purpose of the Drafts/Sent Items folders in WLM Storage Folder?

What is the purpose of the Drafts and Sent Items folders in the WLM Storage Folder?

I'm setting up Windows Live Mail on my new Windows 7 PC. Under the Storage Folder, there are two folders with the names Drafts and Sent Items, which cannot be deleted. But messages are sent from the folders under my primary email address, and any Drafts or Sent Items are stored in the corresponding folders there. What is the purpose of the Drafts and Sent Items folders within the Storage Folder when messages are apparently never sent from there? Thanks for any response.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand your question correctly.... the Storage section contains all the folders and messages within them that you imported from your old computer. I believe all you have to do is open any folder, Select All the messages, and drag them to whereever you want them - probably to the sent and to the draft folders up there under your primary account. I don't think you can ever get rid of the inbox, sent, drafts, folders under "Storage Folders." I think the folders are permanent even if they are empty. If you were an Outlook Express or vista Windows Mail user you may want to go to www.sevenforums.com and learn how you can put Windows Mail on your new Windows 7 computer. It's there already, it's just missing 1 file that makes it work and if you still have the old computer you can easily grab it from there and put it on the new one. Instructions are at sevenforums. Just do a search.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfarmer View Post
    What is the purpose of the Drafts and Sent Items folders in the WLM Storage Folder?

I'm setting up Windows Live Mail on my new Windows 7 PC. Under the Storage Folder, there are two folders with the names Drafts and Sent Items, which cannot be deleted. But messages are sent from the folders under my primary email address, and any Drafts or Sent Items are stored in the corresponding folders there. What is the purpose of the Drafts and Sent Items folders within the Storage Folder when messages are apparently never sent from there? Thanks for any response.
    The above mentioned folders are part of the email client and therefore can't & shouldn't be deleted.

I find those folders particularly useful, especially the "Sent items" folder. Many times I find it useful to keep a dialog
    of sent responses. Every email you send out gets copied to that folder. I consider it as a means of "record keeping"
    when it comes to email communications among the various parties with whom I deal with on a regular basis.

If you don't use those folders just keep them empty, they'll be of little consequence otherwise.

Your "Drafts" folder will always remain empty unless you consider the concept of creating draft copies of pending outgoing email.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your responses; however, the folders that I am referring to in the Storage Folder do NOT store the Sent Items or Draft items of my email. These Sent Items are stored under the corresponding folders of the same name under my primary email address. These folders are working as expected. I don't know of any reason why I would move my Sent Items folder from its current location under my primary email address to the Storage Folder. The Storage Folder is something different, and also new as compared to Outlook Express. I am aware that the Storage Folder will store messages imported from Outlook Express but I haven't imported any of those messages yet, so there is currently nothing in the Storage Folder. I realize that this is confusing to talk about because the folders in both locations have the same name. But it's clear that the Sent and Draft folders in the Storage Folder do not currently contain anything related to email sent or received from my primary email address. To say the same thing in another way: I can successfully send and receive email from the folders associated with my primary email address without ever using any of the folders in the Storage Folder. That's why I'm wondering about the purpose of the Draft and Sent folders in the Storage Folder. Thanks for any other comments.

Thanks
    OK, I see what your saying.
    I have no use whatsoever for them in the main Storage Folders areas either.
    Those system folders might have their uses when it comes to newsgroup messages/feeds, but I couldn't tell you because I
    have never used them. (Newsgroups that is)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can hide storage folders by clicking View, Storage Folders.

Storage folders are not deleted if you remove an account: What is the purpose of Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-01-04 at 18:25.