Lounger
    Thanks

Does Windows wallpaper affect Windows performance?

Almost everyone likes to adorn their desktop screen with some kind of wallpaper; for many, it's a family photo, for me it's astronomy wallpaper. But I have heard that for best performance, don't use wallpaper, just have a basic solid color background. The screen is less personal, but the computer is faster.
    1. Are there any studies that prove or disprove this assertion?
    2. If true, how much is performance affected?
    3. Does the impact depend on which CPU and/or graphics adapter is in your computer?
    4. Does "size" (i.e. resolution) matter? My screen is 1920x1080; would the effect be different for higher or lower resolution?
    5. How about using the tiled or stretch option to fill the screen when the size of the picture is smaller than screen resolution?
    6. If there is a performance impact, is it more or less for different versions of Windows?
    7. What about using a third-party app that allows you to display multiple graphics, either simultaneously or sequentially?
    Just curious. Thanks for all responses.

Thanks
    I know of no studies, but the only wallpapers I would assume are affecting performance are those that have some sort of action, like active X or flash or something similar.

I did a very unscientific comparison and see no discernible difference when using the plain jane wallpaper shipped with windows and my landscape wallpapers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    For low memory system on XP, there was a slight difference due to the extra memory used by some wallpaper, but it will not impact any PC with a decent amount of memory installed.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some further discussion here: if we do not use any wallpaper on desktop will it increase performance of windows?

The linked thread from the last post there is interesting in that several people found that using a single solid color on Windows 7 slowed login down a lot (strange but true?)

Bruce