Thanks

Need free exe or icon editor program.

I have a program that shows a default icon that I don't like when it's pinned to the taskbar and in use. I want to remove the default icon from the program, then import a icon from a different folder that I like into the program so it will use that icon when it is pinned in the taskbar while the program is running. Is there a free exe or icon editor that will allow this? I have done a lot of searching and installs but I have not found one that will do this.

Thanks
    My suggestion would be Nir Sofer's IconsExtract - but I don't know if it would do exactly what you want, and you may already have tried it.
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    Yah I don't need that since I already have the icon file. My problem is getting the program to use it which it won't unless it's either included in the program itself, or I can change a command line in the program to use the icon file from the other folder instead of the default icon. I'm guessing I may need a exe editor to do that but I haven't found one that will do it. Thanks though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Create a shortcut to the program in any folder, change the icon for the shortcut to the one you want, then pin the shortcut to the taskbar.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-01-04 at 16:04.

Thanks
    That doesn't work because when the program opens it creates a new icon in the taskbar where I then have two of the program's icons in the taskbar which I do not want. If I then tell the other icon to pin to taskbar it changes the icon to the one I don't want.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I forgot about both the shortcut and executable icons being displayed in the taskbar when run, not having battled with it for a couple of months.

I think there are several workarounds you could use, e.g.: IconChanger or How to Change the Icon for an Exe File

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanks Bruce. Neither one of those options worked though and I did everything right.

Thanks
    Try this:
    Print the icon that you like and cut it out. Now glue it to the screen over the icon you do not want to see.
    You may want to use a "sticky note" so it is easy to move in case the icon is not always in the same place.
    HTH
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Now there's something I would not have thought of. hehe