NickTheGeek

Problem Sorting Database (Access 2000)

I have imported a CSV formatted DB into Access.

The first column (field) is an inventory number from 001 - 1200.

When the DB is exported from Access to be stored on a server, all fields must be set to "text"

I've gone to Records, Sort, Sort Ascending but Access seems to be sorting according to the *first* three digits of the inventory number rather than the last three ... so what I'm getting is this:

1000 - 1009, 101, 1010 - 1019, 102, 1020 - 1029, 103, 1030 - 1039 - and so on ...

Could someone enlighten me (bonafide Access Virgin), please? [img]/forums/images/smilies/ohmy.gif[/img])

Thanks

Nick

P.S. Just in case it's relevant, the reason I want the DB sorted in this way, is that one of the fields is a hyperlink and I have to copy and paste the hyperlink fro each record into webpages which the database was created against ...

For example: Inventory Number 001 relates to the first object on the first webpage ... etc, etc, etc ...

I hope that clarifies things a bit ... Once again, thanks!

kevrizz

Re: Problem Sorting Database (Access 2000)

Nick
    You probably have answered your own question. Because you have set the fields as "text" your sort is alphabetical. So anything starting with 1 comes first.
    For example it could look like this 1, 10, 100, 1000 etc.
    The trick to solve this is to import the field as a numerical field so that access can treat it like a number.
    Kevin