Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Network & Sharing Centre

In Win 7, in Network & Sharing Centre, I can click "See full map" to connect to network computers. Is there an equivalent in Win 8 Pro (I can't find it in Network & Sharing Centre), and if so I would appreciate knowing where.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    No, Windows 8 does not have the Network map feature that Windows 7 had.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for your quick reply, but that being the case how do I find networked computers? (The computers concerned are a Win 7 Pro desktop and an XP Home laptop).
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The map isn't really intended to be used to find networked computers, more just to show the layout and routing, though I guess it does show the network computers.
    The shorthand route should be just to check Network, and if you have network discovery turned on in advanced settings, the others should pop right up if they are also shared and discoverable on the network.

If for some reason they are not, you can right click on Network in the address window and type either the name of the network computer or its I.P. Address (preceded by \\ )and it will find it that way. And if that's the case for each, once they are found, you can create a network toolbar by copying the network address shortcut of each computer into a folder you designate as the toolbar target. That way you can contact/access any of the computers in that toolbar list instantly without having to go to Network and wait for them to be discovered again. I have a couple computers that resist discovery and therefore are not listed but if I type in the network computer name then copy that to my MyNet toolbar folder, I hav'em cornered with no way out from then on.

Thanks
    My Win 7 desktop pops up as F.U.N. states when I turn it on. I can see it from both of our Win 8 laptops.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you go to file explorer through the power users menu (right click in lower left corner of desktop) or open through folder icon on task bar, network and also home group are in the left pane. At least they appear there on my desktop and laptop.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

I discovered that if I open Computer and then click the right hand arrow next to the computer icon Network appears on the drop down list and I can see the networked computers from there. The same thing applies in Network & Sharing Centre using the right hand arrow next to the Network & Sharing icon.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    If you type Desktop Icons in search (from the Win 8 Start Screen after typing Desktop Icons you have to go to settings) you can choose what icons appear on your desktop. The Network icon is one of those that I have included on my desktop. I have 3 icons, My Computer, Recycle Bin and Network.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy