Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

A view on Windows 8 sales

Thanks
    Good read, very reasonable point of view.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's certainly an interesting theory and one I've not seen before, but isn't the general consensus that the netbook market collapsed at least two years ago? For example this article, published Feb-12: http://www.pcworld.com/article/25005...s_is_grim.html

Administrator
    Thanks
    I certainly agree with his view regarding prices and the view that people do not easily pay for a more expensive laptop. Surface is a great example and I totally agree with him that Surface is way too expensive (as any of the Apple offerings are).

Thanks
    People don't want to pay for the performance they need and end up going with under performing hardware worth 400 dollars.

Then on top of that, you'll see some dolts put full drive encryption on a 5200 rpm mechanical drive in a machine with a 1.5 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM.

It's your classic case of usage and hardware miss-match that the PC industry has been helping to perpetuate for a long time now.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What the article fails to note and thus take into account is that there has been a dearth of touch based PCs so far. And yes, the ones that have been available so far are more expensive that what the PC marketplace has seen the last several years. IMO, there will be many more touch based systems introduced in 2013. It is very possible that by the end of 2013 the majority of Windows systems offered will be touch based. I just hope that the OEMs will use this opportunity to do some serious engineering and quit using cheap components, both in cost and quality, for everything.

Joe

Thanks
    I agree with Joe. The cheap laptops of the past will be gone in favor of touch enabled devices. The touch devices by their very nature are more expensive. If OEM manufacturers will take the next step and include higher quality parts along with touch this will be easier to accept the higher prices. Perhaps once this technology is accepted by a wider range of consumers we will see the popularity of Surface increase as well.

I am interested to see how the Surface Pro is welcomed in the market place. My belief is that this will be a preferred option for those opting for more powerful tablets. If MS would include the keyboard option this would make an even better choice IMO.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    I disagree, Ted. I think Surface Pro represents a good concept, but it is way too expensive. For the Surface, one of those companies that disassembles hardware concluded that the profit margin for the current Surface is even higher than the Apple's for the iPad. Nice one, huh? Years and years complaining about the Apple tax and now here comes what, the Microsoft tax?

At the pre-announced prices, the Surface Pro won't get any meaningful market share, IMO.

As for Touch enable laptops, well I saw a nice one from Sony costing 1400 euros (that's around $1825). Other than touch, the specs were nothing to be proud of (i3 processor, 4 GB RAM, can't remember disk). Even if this had a 512 GB SSD, it would still be outrageously expensive. At this price range, these things will never sell. Never.

Thanks
    Like I said, if the keyboard option was included this would be a better choice (than Surface RT). I believe these devices will follow the same pattern as in the past. As time goes on the prices will adjust downward.

Heck our 2 Nook Colors (purchased when they were first released approx. 2 years ago) cost $250 USD each. These same devices are now $139 USD each and can be found on sale even cheaper. That is the way things work. Expensive initially, then prices start to come down to more reasonable rates. As I have said previously, my budget right now will not allow for these anyway. Perhaps later when we start seeing the price drops, or more competition drives the prices down.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    It seems inevitable that prices for touch base systems will decrease. Besides, whether or not Paul Thurrott thinks Windows 8 sales are slow or not doesn't mean a thing. No one outside of few at Microsoft know what Windows 8 projections were or what sales have been thus far. Best to wait until a Microsoft quarterly report for some actual figures. We as a society seem to be caught up in "instant analysis" of everything. The "experts" can't wait to make a pronouncement.

Even if Windows 8 sales are not what "the experts" thought what does that really mean? Does that mean it is a disaster? Maybe but then again maybe not. Microsoft's "disaster" of Vista still sold > 300 million units. If Microsoft has decided on a faster update schedule we may see significant changes in 2013 which might cause a sales uptick.

Joe

Thanks
    It's the price/value ratio that devices and OS upgrades have to get right. I'm dual booting Windows 7/8 now only because of $39.99 with the Media Center thrown in for free.

If the price had been $139.99, even with Media Center, I wouldn't have bought Windows 8, just based on the benchmark reviews comparing it with Windows 7 that I've read. I skipped Vista entirely for similar reasoning - price/value ratio. Even after the service packs and fixes and reported improved performance of Vista, there wasn't enough there for me over XP.

We all have a sweet spot, I guess, and if a product hits that sweet spot, we're much more likely to buy. But the touch-based systems that I've seen advertised are way, way overpriced.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Microsoft has a number of operating systems currently in it's support life cycle right now, so there will be plenty of
    time for Windows 8 to grow and evolve. And also plenty of time for Windows XP to be slowly delegated to meaningless oblivion.

Heck, MS might even lengthen it's support for XP (slightly) if market share continues for it. Who knows.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    No one outside of few at Microsoft know what Windows 8 projections were or what sales have been thus far.
    Manufacturers and retailers know the sales figures for new computers with Windows 8 pre-installed. Organisations such as StatCounter know the Internet usage rates for Windows 8.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    Manufacturers and retailers know the sales figures for new computers with Windows 8 pre-installed. Organisations such as StatCounter know the Internet usage rates for Windows 8.
    Check out the methodolgy used by organizations such as StatCounter. They all use a selected number of sites to exptrapolate for the whole Internet. Usage varies, sometimes significantly, from company to company measuring activity. Each manufacturer and retailer know their sales figures not all sales figures. AFAIK, since the quarter just ended no one has yet reported actual numbers of units shipped or sold. I'm just saying that no one outside Microsoft knows the complete picture and they are not talking yet.

Joe

Thanks
    MS may also be in possession of a huge amount of telemetric data that no one else is privy to.
    I would tend to side with MS having more of these facts than anyone else.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast