Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 system imaging ridiculously slow

I'm fairly new to Windows 7 and am trying to make a system image using the built-in software. I have apps and OS installed on a C Partition. (Data is on D.) The partition is about 99 Gig and I am attempting to create the image on an external HD. After 2 days, the image is 24% complete. That obviously can't be working right.

Are there issues with imaging and/or am I doing this wrong? Should I give up on the built in backup software and use, say, Macrium?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Well, there is definitely something wrong, as that is way too much time. Not everybody has been very successful using the native imaging feature. I use a 3rd party app (not Macrium), but Macrium should be ok.

I guess you can try and find what is going wrong, but using Macrium can probably be a faster and easier to handle option.

Thanks
    I also did not have very much success with the built in app. I chose instead to use the paid app Acronis True Image. Presently I am using version 2013 and am very pleased.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    greenbergman,

I use Macrium Reflect Free edition exclusively now and I am very pleased. I used to use Acronis like Ted and was pleased with it also, I just figured why pay for an update when I can use Macrium for Free. If you search the Lounge for Macrium you'll find a lot of information of the product.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also I don't think you can mount a Win 7 system image to be able to retrieve just one or two files that might be missing. I don't remember it having a verification option either, which all images should have. So a good third party image program from Macrium or EaseUS ToDo free are just better all around.
    Test your external HD transfer speed too if you haven't to make sure it's up to speed and performing normally.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Also I don't think you can mount a Win 7 system image to be able to retrieve just one or two files that might be missing.
    Actually you can, as the Windows backup creates .vhd files and those can be mounted. It's not as easy as with 3rd party tools, but can be done.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, on a W7 desktop system, with a 100GB C:\ partition (my data is on 2 other partitions), my image using the paid version of Macrium takes slightly less than 10 minutes.
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking now the problem may not be Windows backup but must be in my hard drive transfer rate. I'm trying Macrium, and it too is slow -- about 50% complete after a day.

Macrium says the transfer rate is 4 Mb/sec. (It varies a bit) This is through, I believe, a USB 2 port to a USB 2 powered hub to a USB 2 HD enclosure.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It does look like a hardware issue, either with the hard drive or the USB disk (or port).

Thanks
    Just how much data are you trying to image?
    Anything under 30GB wouldn't take more than 30 min at worst.

You should also check to ensure that your operating system partition or drive is the only volume being imaged.
    If your boot or system files reside on another volume, the windows imaging app will always want to include them.
    (I mean the entire volume the boot and system files reside on)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-09 at 12:16.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an older Dell desktop. For grins, I just ran 2 tests of Macrium imaging my data.
    To an external LaCie HD, the transfer rates varied between 192,4 and 276.8 mbs.
    To a 2nd, slower internal Hd, which I use only for images, the transfer rate varied from 263.2 and 284.6 mbs.
    Dick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    greenbergman,

I use Macrium Reflect Free edition exclusively now and I am very pleased. I used to use Acronis like Ted and was pleased with it also, I just figured why pay for an update when I can use Macrium for Free. If you search the Lounge for Macrium you'll find a lot of information of the product.
    Thanks for the info. Are there any real limitations using the free edition of the software?

Thanks
    Macrium Reflect does have a chart displaying the differences.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted and others, good morning.
    I was trying to clone a Dell ( not 2 year old yet ) that belongs to my grd-son, using Acronis. I do not use the large CD as supplied by Acronis but a smaller 2.5" CD that was D/L'd from their site, it is only of 39 MBs, also version 11 and at times v 2011, they work like charms on any version of Windows, even W-7 and W-8, on my machines.
    Now the gritty part. When trying to clone his C:\ to an external USB HD, the first step of selecting the Source goes fine, then a "Next" brings us to a Destination choice and here is the fun part, both C:\ and E:\ show up, no top of the screen option to select the Destination. No way either, to click on one of the offered Destination to select it.
    This where we stopped the process until I asked the Experts here on some advise. We are all ears. Jean.

Thanks
    It sounds like E is the Ext HD. Choose that and have fun.

In my situation using Acronis True Image 2013 I also get the choice of all drives present. This is an option that allows you to choose, say a different partition or disk in the PC as well as the Ext HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast