Thanks

MSE Fails tests?

I read that Microsoft Security Essentials failed tests recently. Not great news.

Any thoughts on Kaspersky?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4...atest-av-test/
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    MSE fares pretty much average in malware tests. It's not one of the best.

I use Emsisoft AntiMalware, which usually ranks at the top, or pretty near the top, in such tests.

Thanks
    I have been using AVG 2013 AV free recently and have been impressed. Be sure to get the AVG free, not the free trial of the paid version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I've been using MSE without issue since before 2010, when I was still using XP. I use drive images regularly as my system backup, so I'm not concerned about returning my PC to pristine condition should I ever have an issue.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've seen Kasperky several times in the past and found it to hog resources quite heavily. That admittedly is from a relatively small sample and on machines that had other issues anyway.

Personally, I used to use Emsisoft tools the same as to Rurib, but due to technical incompatibilities on my systems, had to move away from them. I now use MSE, plus a raft of standalone tools.

However, that's not my central point. I think you should just pick one that fits your profile: whether you are prepared to pay or wish for free, whether you need enhanced heuristics, whether software or hardware firewall is important to you, etc...

Then having made those choices, I think it's important to review one's internet behaviour and adjust to a lower risk profile if possible. In essence, what I'm saying, is that all mainstream antivirus tools are pretty much only as good as the operator in the chair. I have seen malware infections on machines protected with every mainstream tool: nothing is perfect and malware will get through if the user is not alert to the risks they expose themselves to.

If I can make an analogy: if you have a tendency to hurtle around the countryside at 100mph, one day, sooner or later, you will end up getting hurt, regardless of seatbelts, and airbags.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    T.T.

Agreed...you have to keep the NUT behind the keyboard tight!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Well, maybe I'll just sit tight for the moment. Thanks guys.

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    I have seen malware infections on machines protected with every mainstream tool: nothing is perfect and malware will get through if the user is not alert to the risks they expose themselves to.

If I can make an analogy: if you have a tendency to hurtle around the countryside at 100mph, one day, sooner or later, you will end up getting hurt, regardless of seatbelts, and airbags.
    Same here. Doesn't matter if it's Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, McAfee, ESET, Avira, Comcast's odd version of Norton, or whatever. I do, however, see lots of systems with expired AV, even the free ones. MSE isn't the best, but it never expires, has a small footprint, and works well enough given the way some users click right through multiple warnings.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Firewall help

Quote Originally Posted by John-O View Post
    Same here. Doesn't matter if it's Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, McAfee, ESET, Avira, Comcast's odd version of Norton, or whatever. I do, however, see lots of systems with expired AV, even the free ones. MSE isn't the best, but it never expires, has a small footprint, and works well enough given the way some users click right through multiple warnings.

I'm using MSE with WIN 7/TinyWall Firewall and MalwareBytes Pro (real time) with MalwareBytes excluded in MSE process file. No conflicts, no viruses,Malware or any problems. Try TinyWall if you are using Win 7 firewall. TinyWall is rock solid and FREE.

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/27/tin...ss-annoyances/

http://www.davescomputertips.com/201...-sliced-bread/

http://tinywall.pados.hu/docs/whatsnew.html

mart44
    Not getting infected during the time an AV program has been used isn't a reflection of how adequate it is. It only means the malware that can bypass it hasn't yet been encountered.

True that no AV program is immune from being bypassed but I feel that ones that have higher detection rates (according to tests) will stand more chance of detecting malware. MSE is better than having no AV program installed but it seems to be not as good as other free or paid programs.

Thanks
    As has been mentioned, security is best if you use a multi-level approach, no matter what AV app you use. In my case, I have used MSE, but now use AVG AV 2013 Pro (found a deal for $25 for 3 licenses with a $25 mail in rebate offer from Newegg). I also use MalwareBytes Antimalware Pro and Spybot Search and Destroy both running in real time without any issues or interaction problems with my AV. I am using the Win 8 S/W firewall and a H/W firewall in my router.

As RG states, I also try to control the nut behind the keyboard.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Well, maybe I'll just sit tight for the moment. Thanks guys.

Regards,
    Chuck
    Make sure you use something while you're sitting tight.

If it's worth anything, Fred Langa swears by MSE. And he seems like someone who knows what he's talking about.

Of course, I'm sure that he also knows how to avoid risky activity on the internet.

My theory about free A/V is that, if the A/V company isn't making any money on the deal, they might not be very motivated to produce a good product. I don't think MSE would be hurt by Microsoft not making any money off of it, however, because Microsoft has so much money they aren't worried about it.