New Lounger

Had the FBI virus, got AVG, Lost tons of files/programs

Hello, first let me say, I will need to be responded to in lamens terms. I can follow directions but do not speak techie. so I had the FBI virus a couple months back, in safe-mode I downloaded AVG13 Free version, I had to run the scan through a different user that I had to create in safe-mode. So AVG deletes the trojan and internet explorer and basic windows search, wordpad, many many files. So I didn't realize it was a problem until I tried downloading Open Office, where I was told shortcuts could not be made. Seeing as there was no actual program (only folders with numbers/letters/symbols) I uninstalled. I tried downloading an update for explorer and i was told there is no eplorer.exe? And then I was told to do a complete reinstall of the system. Without a CD you are supposed to use a i386 folder.... yeah, that's gone too. So basically anything having anything to do with Microsoft does not work nor will install. I was told not to post questions without computer info so I will assume that my computer is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3? I rightclick on My Computer and thats what the properties thing said. If you have any advice for me at all I would greatly appreciate it, I work from home with my computer.
    And the restore does not work because of missing files.

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge.

I really don't see other option than a non destructive reinstall of Windows (or a full install, of course), as explained by Fred Langa here:

You will need an XP SP3 disc for this, which you can probably obtain from a friend, if he has one, or any other source. You can use that disk with your current XP key. You can probably get help from any computer shop in your area, they should have XP disks, too.

California & Arizona
    I agree, you'll need to do a clean install, or in the very least a non destruct repair install, and that requires a Windows XP install disk.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.