Thanks

Question RealPlayer update

In December RealPlayer released an update for its free version. I read "somewhere" and thought it was here, that there were undesirable attributes in it. I have not downloaded and installed this update and I cannot find the message about it now.

Anyone else remember or know what I am speaking of??

BJ

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The update will make RealPlayer become the default player for all your media and install sponsor's software if one doesn't go thru each update setting carefully and uncheck the appropriate tic-boxes. That's kind of becoming the standard now, can't trust an install or an update to be free of additional, and most often, unwanted software.

Thanks
    Real Player started using these tactics long ago, and were removed for my systems. There is another thread here showing other problems recently encountered with Real Player.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm... I haven't seen that. I updated my version however and haven't noticed anything "undesirable." I found this which explains the new features: http://www.real.com/resources/realplayer-16

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You could always try Real Alternative. Like Medico, I haven't used Real Player for many years, for the reasons he stated, but "Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player." I haven't had any problems with Real Alternative, and it is now a standard installation for me.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Garth

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Real Player regularly makes it into lists of software to avoid, published by credible sources. Like Medico & garthp, I have never installed it after a bad experience in the 90s. Go with an alternative for peace of mind, if you do need the player abilities--I haven't for years.
    Last edited by Mike Feury; 2013-01-10 at 11:57.

Thanks
    I've never had a problem with real player either although I no longer use it. Once upon a time, I needed it to stream a radio station I occasionally listen to. They no longer use Real, so I no longer install real as I use VLC for general multimedia use. I don't bother to uninstall it on client machines I come across with it installed though. It doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Jerry

Thanks
    In addition to "undesirable software", Real Player has for many years done data mining, in which personal information from your computer is collected and shared with third-party advertisers. It's not just an unwanted software issue -- it's a privacy concern. Try the alternatives which don't do these things, as suggested in this thread.

Also, I haven't seen a lot of web content which absolutely requires RealPlayer to play back the content. Usually the same content is available with Flash Player or iTunes/QuickTime instead. Both of which have their own data mining and privacy concerns.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Real Player has for many years done data mining, in which personal information from your computer is collected and shared with third-party advertisers
    I've never heard of this. Can you cite any examples? I'm not a Real fan of Real Player but I have never heard of Real doing this any more than Google or Microsoft does. They certainly do not get " personal information from your computer" although they could have used signup information as many others do. I never was affected by third party advertisers while I had Realplayer installed.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used RealPlayer for years and downloaded the update in December. I've never had any problems with them harvesting anything from me. Geesh, does everybody have to trash every entity out there?
    "Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ~William Penn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sfhogback For This Useful Post:

midnight (2013-01-11)

Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealPlayer#Controversies

In the past, RealPlayer definitely did contain spyware. There is still some question about privacy when running RealPlayer. The above Wikipedia article doesn't say what RealPlayer has changed to remove the label "spyware" from its products. If you are concerned, check out the RealPlayer Privacy policy here . If you want to be completely sure of privacy, you might try Real Alternative . VLC Player has at least partial support for the more common RealPlayer formats.

More than any privacy concerns with the current RealPlayer software, this is one more program which tries to auto-start with Windows and connect to the Internet each time you log in. And due to past controversies, not much Web content is presented in only RealPlayer formats. But if you feel a need for RealPlayer, it looks like the current version won't do any harm beyond its possible impact on system performance.
    -- Bob Primak --