Star Lounger
    Thanks

Periods missing in file names

I sometimes share files with a colleague. We don't use any of the various file sharing tools that are available (like Dropbox), as we find that we don't do it often and it's just as easy to email them.

However, we've got a bit of a challenge when the file name has 'extra' periods in it (e.g. for a file called "3.2 Something Policy Version 1.2"). For some reason, when my colleague opens these files (they can be Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, jpgs, etc.), and saves them (by clicking File, Save As), the file names lose the extra periods. (The period before the suffix is okay, but all others are replaced with blanks.)

The file names save correctly (with all periods intact) when she right clicks in an email in Outlook and Saves the file/s from there.

I have attached two screenshots. One shows a file name with lots of periods. The other shows the 'amended' file name with spaces instead of periods. Obviously, this file name was just a test - it wouldn't usually have that many periods in it.

Thanks
    Consider using underscore rather than periods in the file names. Windows uses periods to separate file name from extension and to indicate current directory.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, they're not my files so I can't change the file names. I actually queried the formatting with the client at the start of the project, but they pointed to many, many references on the internet that advise that in 2012, using periods in file names shouldn't cause an issue. The absolute only challenge we have found (and we have many different types of files in use for this client), is the one identified above. I personally don't have a problem as I save all files directly from the email. We've only encountered an issue with the method my colleague uses to save files. 'tis a strange one!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki B View Post
    I actually queried the formatting with the client at the start of the project, but they pointed to many, many references on the internet that advise that in 2012, using periods in file names shouldn't cause an issue.
    Which version of Microsoft Office is your colleague using in 2013?

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the same thing (Periods getting deleted when I save files I've opened from an email) and I'm using Word 2010. It happens for all files - pdfs, vsds, jpgs, and so on. My colleague first noticed it with Word 2003 files but we've tested a variety of different file types and it happened to all of them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it's an Outlook "feature": Outlook 2007 filename attachment problem

But there doesn't seem to be any fix: attachment filename drops the period

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-01-14 at 01:33.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the positive side, at least we've confirmed it's not just us. Thanks for your help BruceR. At least there is a way around it - my colleague just has to change her work processes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Periods missing in file names

It's not just file names that are a problem. It seems Outlook doesn't like more than 2 periods in an email address after the @. Students have a web based email account with the address having the format someone@students.somecollege.ac.uk). If a student sends me an email, when I open it Outlook strips out not only the first period after the @ - but also the the word students, so thier address is shown as someone@somecollege.ac.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brian1021 View Post
    It's not just file names that are a problem. It seems Outlook doesn't like more than 2 periods in an email address after the @. Students have a web based email account with the address having the format someone@students.somecollege.ac.uk). If a student sends me an email, when I open it Outlook strips out not only the first period after the @ - but also the the word students, so thier address is shown as someone@somecollege.ac.uk
    I never cease to be amazed at how Bill Gates keeps everyone coming his way in spite of these types of errors.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I never cease to be amazed at how Bill Gates keeps everyone coming his way in spite of these types of errors.
    I challenge anyone to show me software of the size and type of the Microsoft packages that don't have 'idiosyncrasies'. They can be challenging and frustrating, but that's life.........

Thanks
    Over the years, as Microsoft was conquering one company after another, I continually heard from other IT people and in computer magazine articles that Microsoft's products weren't as good as other people's products. Yet they grew more and more dominant all the time.

How did this happen?
    1. Microsoft knew how to get other companies to get off their game. Novell is the poster child of that.
    2. Apparently Microsoft appealed to those who approved purchases, rather than to the IT departments.