New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista won't copy files

My son in grad school requested an external hard disk, so I bought an external case and put in a SATA 500GB drive I already had. I reformatted it for NTFS in Vista. He has a rather limited size SSD, so he wanted to at first backup the whole drive, them move some unnecessary stuff over like music he doesn't listen to much, old class notes, etc.

One of the first things we tried was to copy all his music files over to the HD, so we just dragged the music folder over to the external. Vista came back and said to double check the path/filename as it could not find the file. This happened even if we tried to move a single file. Vista did copy the folders that were in that original folder. I think we could actually play the music files, so they were on disk.

After mucking around some, I think we did a scan disk, and rebooting the Vista laptop it seemed to work. Now its doing the same thing again, dragging a file from the internal C: drive to the external and Vista says it can't find the file.

We don't live in the same city, so I now can't easily see his screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Don't know how to solve the copy problem but if you both install the free TeamViewer you'll be able to control his machine remotely if that will help.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks super user.

He has vista professional, so I/he should be able to set it up so I can log in via Microsoft Remote. Does Team Viewer require setting port forwards on his router? I also suppose he could share his screen via skype. As this seems to be happen some what ocassionally I told him to get a screen shot next time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    TeamViewer requires no changes to ports.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Are your files in a Vista 'Virtual' folder?

My wife had Vista on her laptop. After a while we discovered that many files she had downloaded from Ancestry (family tree), had not been backed-up to my USB drive.

I use Vice Versa Pro to back-up and on all my XP computers works OK.

The problem is that 'virtual' folders don't contain real files, they just display exactly like real files - you can't tell the difference!

I solved the problem by making a new real folder and using Vista's 'drag & drop' to populate the new folder. Files were then backed-up correctly from the new folder.

Since then, I've used the OEM XP disks to install XP, without 'virtual' folders.
    Last edited by Landyman; 2013-01-10 at 12:31. Reason: Typo