Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb Looking for an antidote?

From some of what one reads it seems some people are looking for an antidote to the Windows 8 Start screen & its Tiles and ways to avoid Store APPs.

Appears they are looking for silver bullets to slay the dragon. Fear not good Folks... it can all be not the bane of your existence through one simple word...

ABSTINENCE

Windows 8 can be used quite nicely w/out using the Start screen at all or Store APPs, for that matter. Merely hit the Desktop Tile upon Boot-up & never look back & let Start & its Tiles irritate you nevermore.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Thanks
    I am always amazed how much people complain that the Win 8 Style Start Screen shows up whenever you boot, when there are such easy ways to get around it.

If you move the Desktop Tile to the top, left tile, simply clicking the Enter key when the Win 8 Style Start Screen is displayed will transport you to the Desktop UI.

The other way to automatically go to the Desktop UI is to use one of the several Start Orb replacements and set them to automatically go to the Desktop UI.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Windows 8 can be used quite nicely w/out using the Start screen at all or Store APPs, for that matter. Merely hit the Desktop Tile upon Boot-up & never look back & let Start & its Tiles irritate you nevermore.
    Er, exactly what part of the fact that 'hitting the Desktop Tile upon Boot-up' IS using the Start screen is still managing to evade you?

Some of us find that an unnecessary annoyance (and unnecessary annoyances can be pretty annoying regardless of how easy it may be to work around them).

Of course, other unnecessary annoyances that need to be worked around in various ways abound as well (e.g., having to set up new application defaults to avoid being bounced back to the Start screen when you, say, click on a .jpg to view it).

It's bad enough that Microsoft thinks so little of its customers that it feels free to jerk them around with completely unnecessary interface changes rather than make it easy to maintain the interfaces they're used to if that's what they want. Getting told incessantly that objecting to such lack of consideration is silly really doesn't help the situation.

Edit: By the way, I suspect that the word you were looking for was 'antidote'.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-01-07 at 06:02.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to - bill For This Useful Post:

rje49 (2013-01-21)

Thanks
    Yes, Ted, certainly, we have described all the EASY ways to rapidly move beyond Start... Place Desktop Tile hit Enter, clk Desktop Tile, WinD or hit something like Skype & it opens on Desktop, etc, etc. We've been telling people such things for many months to pacify them & make the grounds for their whinging meaningless & trite. Yet, one can, still, read comments expressing angst, frustration & anxiety over this stuff & repeated inquiries about how to avoid or remove like it's all something horrid & terribly bothersome. My entry, certainly a bit tongue in cheek, simply says, rather than striving to find things to cancel this stuff... just relax & don't use it; don't like it, don't use it, nothing to trouble a person, anymore. Save seeking to negate something & be all upset... just don't use it & carry on, function w/out it & be happy. The OS works absolutely fine w/out using any of it. No need to moan or complain, Clk-n-Go and go w/out Start and smile. See? You who (continue) loathe Start can ignore it and not even bother w/ methods to shoot any of it between the eyes.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Thanks
    Bill,

What part of 'hitting the Desktop Tile upon Boot-up' do you not realize is not worth making a fuss about? Besides a fraction of a second for 1 click or 1 hit of the Enter button, who cares... it ain't worth giving it any concern or a pile of rhetoric or grumbling.

Consider this... Besides hitting ENTER some rare time I (have to) boot, I never use the Start screen at all. Ergo, in all logic, one is left w/ nothing to condemn, hate or see as an aggravation. Instead of bothering to climb on the Microsoft are mean, nasty, uncaring jerks bandwagon... if it's unnecessary (in your eyes, for your reasons) then don't use it, there is no coercion... and if your going to call hitting ENTER the rare times you boot using it... come on, seriously... let's not make something out of nothing.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

PS: I don't use Start for different reasons... for me it's just to be efficient & keep things simple & stay on ONE screen. I'll use certain Store APPs but, I stay on Desktop (to get them) and to access any other applications I want, as well. And I don't use Start because I prefer to see everything that is available to me @ once, in one location, not just what Tile items there may be & w/out scrolling across a plethora of Tiles to find something. And the irony is, the same can be for anyone!
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-01-07 at 06:33.

Thanks
    One other method to bypass the Win 8 Style Start Screen, for those that wish to know, is to simply hold down the Enter key for a couple of seconds after entering your password (assuming you are using a normal PW, not the new Picture PW) By holding down the Enter key rather than tapping the Enter key, the system will give a second Enter command that will automatically activate the Tile you have placed in the Upper, Left corner position. If you have moved Desktop to this position it will go to the Desktop. If you have placed a different app tile in this position it will activate whatever app you have placed there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Expert users may have discovered or developed their own alternative solutions but judging by comments on other forums the utilities such as Classic Shell and Start8 have converted Windows 8 from an unacceptable product to an acceptable one for numerous non-technical users. Without these utilities it seems very likely that Windows 8 would be significantly less popular.

Bear in mind that these utilities don't just fix booting to desktop mode, they can also disable the Charms and restore the Start button and its menu, all things that many normal users say they greatly appreciate.
    Last edited by John259; 2013-01-07 at 08:21.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill,

What part of 'hitting the Desktop Tile upon Boot-up' do you not realize is not worth making a fuss about?
    Apples and oranges, Drew. I corrected a factual error in your post; you're just offering a different opinion about mine.

Besides a fraction of a second for 1 click or 1 hit of the Enter button, who cares...
    *I* care, Drew, as, obviously, do a lot of other people. Whether you do has no relevance whatsoever to that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to - bill For This Useful Post:

rje49 (2013-01-21)

Thanks
    This same discussion has taken place in a number of threads throughout this forum, it seems, and as far as I have been able to determine, with little if any resolution. It keeps rolling up from a different starting point, and devolves into the same old discussion.

For many people (including me, but I try really hard not to be too thin-skinned) being dismissive of another person's annoyances, dislikes, fustrations, complaints or what-have-you as being insignificant or meaningless, is equivalent to dismissing that person her/himself as being insignificant or meaningless - not a great way to win friends or influence people.

While I do a great deal of customization to the Windows 7 OS, much more so than nearly everyone else here, my customizing is at a deeper level. I don't use add-ons or helper apps to change the UI. I simply use the Windows 7 personalization options, and get the look and feel that I want. I prefer my own background slide shows, for example, and I have several that use my own photos. I did change the logon background screen by changing the images in imageres.dll, but other than that, I've only used the options available through the Windows 7 personalization options.

I think I can paraphrase many of the annoyances, dislikes, fustrations, complaints or what-have-you's from most of these discussions down to this question: why didn't Microsoft give me an option to opt out of (fill in pet peeve here)?

Suppose Windows 7 always opened in a full screen command console with "Exit (y or n)" blinking, and the only way to get to the desktop was to hit "y" on the keyboard? Simple, yes. Annoying, extremely. That is the view many of us have of the start screen. Instead of going through this or that "simple" method to get to the desktop, many of us would simply prefer the ability to un-check a box beside a personalization option "Use Start Screen", and check a box beside a personalization option "Use Start Button"; one and done. Nothing to download and install. It just can't get any simpler than that.

Microsoft did not offer such personalization options, and for many that is a very legitimate complaint, and in fact probably the ultimate complaint. So to come full circle - to state, imply or infer that such a complaint is insignificant is to tell the one making the complaint that "they" are insignificant.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

- bill (2013-01-07),bwc (2013-01-07),John259 (2013-01-07),jwitalka (2013-01-07),lear11 (2013-01-12),mrjimphelps (2013-01-09),rje49 (2013-01-21),rlfvt (2013-01-08),VelvetElvis (2013-01-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I tried to make the same point in my original response, but clearly was too succinct to get it across. Hope you're more successful.

The fact that Microsoft was told, early and often during the lengthy Win 8 pre-release cycles, that people wanted such options makes its disdain for its users (and the disdain in which some appear to hold them for refusing just to lie down and take the result quietly) all the more objectionable.

Even if Win 8 boosters may themselves be feeling a bit nervous now that the operating system to which they seem to have hitched their wagons (and reputations, such as they may be) seems to be taking the world considerably less than by storm that's no legitimate excuse for implicitly denigrating those who felt differently from the start. Everyone has the right to an opinion, but not a right not to be called on it if they start to confuse it with fact.

Thanks
    I haven't altered the startup behavior of Windows 8 Pro. It doesn't bother me that there's one more click to get to the desktop. Win 8 is so stable that I rarely have to reboot. So I stay in my Standard User Account on the Legacy Desktop and let the Metro world pass me by. Windows 8 in this mode is so fast and balances core loads so well that I prefer it even for web browsing over Windows 7. I use Chrome Desktop Mode as my Default Browser. I took the pain once and only once to set my Default Programs -- Nitro for PDF, Chrome for browsing, etc.

I've never installed drivers or software for my Epson all in one which scans and prints. Windows 8 natively does all I need. I don't use the Media Center, as Toshiba has a completely usable CD/DVD/BluRay playback utility, and StarBurn does the burning and ripping chores very well. Spending a weekend updating to Windows 8 drivers for my Toshiba Satellite made a difference in these areas, as well as in system performance under Windows 8. For email I use Pegasus Mail and forget about the Windows Live Account altogether. My Administrator Account doesn't even use Picture-Gesture logins, because it has to network with a Windows XP laptop, which can't join the Homegroup unless someone in Windows 8 uses the traditional login.

So my point is, I haven't found it necessary to tweak or modfiy Windows 8 in any significant way, except that I chose to disable Smart Screen on the Desktop only. Otherwise, I'm very much at peace with the changes.

And I do like the NBC News and weather Apps on the Metro side. I visit them often, but I consider Metro-Land to be an alien universe, only visited for updates from its Apps. After that, it's Clear Data from the Tiles and back to the Desktop to do my real work.

And yes, this is an old discussion topic, probably never to be resolved one way or the other.

I do agree that it is looking like Windows 8 uptake is slow. This may be for a number of reasons, but it does not bode well for Microsoft so far.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    John,

Expert users may have discovered or developed their own alternative solutions but judging by comments on other forums the utilities such as Classic Shell and Start8 have converted Windows 8 from an unacceptable product to an acceptable one for numerous non-technical users. Without these utilities it seems very likely that Windows 8 would be significantly less popular.

Bear in mind that these utilities don't just fix booting to desktop mode, they can also disable the Charms and restore the Start button and its menu, all things that many normal users say they greatly appreciate.
    Allow me to respond to & clarify a few things...

1. Has nothing to do w/ "expert users" or abnormal users
    2. Windows 8 not an unacceptable product. It is too good, too easy to use, too much fun to use & too strong on both technology & features to be unacceptable.
    3. Adding 3rd things to the OS is completely unneeded.
    4. Because something is different or "unfamiliar" from the past does not make it bad or "unacceptable".
    5. Disabling things in 8 only make it less useable; everything is there for good reason.
    6. "Expert users may have discovered or developed their own alternative solutions" <--- that is based on an erroneous assumption. In actuality the original discussion or point is in regard to methodology that is native to the OS. One can do 1 minor thing that puts all applications in a window on the Taskbar, instead of needing to go to WinQ for same. Even that is not imperative, just appealing but, other than that it's all an out of the box experience. Oh & fixed Charms so it doesn't pop out 'accidentally' but, not eliminated.
    7. Nothing in this context in Windows 8 needs "to be fixed". Maybe one just needs to be willing to be willing to learn & discover how to use it, even if that means accepting some enlightenment (knowledge) from others.
    8. Some applications are 'traditional', some are Store APPs. Store APPs, some are useful, some are fun, none are 'must use'. And although, all can be accessed via Start, all can be accessed w/out using Start or Tiles.

Where one listens to negative & inaccurate things written & said about Windows 8, one should, also, be willing to listen to what there is to the contrary. Thank you, Bob, for mentioning some of the positives.

finally, a point of interest... every install of Windows 8 I have done w/ people or education given after their own installs have left them saying, "Wow, thanks. This is very cool, fun & easy!" Anything is when you know how or let someone show you. And this is w/out these people adding in any 3rd Party tweaks.

It might be more fitting to swallow one's pride, let go of thinking 8 is bad 'as is', being close-minded or swayed by negative articles & instead ask, "Cool, Drew, how is that done or accomplished?"

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-01-07 at 15:00.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    So my point is, I haven't found it necessary to tweak or modfiy Windows 8 in any significant way, except that I chose to disable Smart Screen on the Desktop only. Otherwise, I'm very much at peace with the changes.
    And there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with your having that point of view regarding Windows 8.

Why is it unacceptable for others to not be at peace with some of the changes?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    And why should it be unacceptable for some of us to impart things such that they could be @ peace w/ the changes?

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And why should it be unacceptable for some of us to impart things such that they could be @ peace w/ the changes? Cheers, Drew Win8Logo.jpg
    What's unaceptable, Drew, is your stating your opinions as if they were facts, while denigrating the opinions of others as if your criticisms were, also, facts. You really do seem to have great difficulty wrapping your head around this, which is why it has to get repeated so often.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast