2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Skype tile

I am totally new to Win8, and just getting started. On the new laptop there is a tile that points to Skype, which we use. I am not sure what I did wrong during the setup, but now when I select this tile, it insists on asking me if I want to combine my MS account with my Skype account. I do not want this at all. When I click on cancel the tile simply keeps repeating the same thing and I can find no way to kill it other that using the task manager. To make matters worse, if I start IE and go to the Skype site, I do not get the usual page where I can log in. What have I done wrong, and how can I get back to a normal situation? Is it safe to right-click on a tile and delete if we do not want this app?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    If you right click on the tile, rather than uninstall simply unpin from the Start Screen. This will keep the app installed, but not display it's tile on the Start Screen. You can then go to the All Apps section and find the app.

Take a look at the Sticky Threads at the start of this forum for some tips and tricks to help with the Win 8 "learning curve".

I do not use Skype, so am unfamiliar with it's process. I know Win 8, especially when signed on with a MS account, does try to integrate all things to make it "easier" to use your system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    The Skype site hasn't changed: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/home. Sign in is at the top right and if it's not there, a Logout option is.
    I no longer remember if you had the option to say no to the association between accounts, but I suggest you uninstall the Skype Windows 8 app and then reinstall it from the Store and that should get you started right from the beginning, again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you for these suggestions. I will give them a try and let you know how it goes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You have to be careful when you at the Skype site. If you want the desktop version of Skype you have to be sure to scroll down on the download page to get the desktop version.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would uninstall the win 8 version completely and download the desktop version, much easier to use and less intrusive. You can always get win 8 back from the app store later if you decide you want it.

Rich

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, Rich. That is what I ended up doing, and now I have what I wanted.

This thread may be closed.