2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Website or Article Date

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but, it seems logical.
    If I'm looking for some information on the web and I come across an interesting article, is there any way to determine the date the article was written or posted if the author doesn't provide one? I can right click on most web pages and select "View Page Info" but, this usually does not give me anything useful regarding dates.
    Thanks

Thanks
    What you can do is Google the title of the article and I'm sure you will get hits when it was written..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Banyarola,
    Thanks for the hint. I tried with some of the articles that I have bookmarked and here is a good one:
    Introduction to HTPC: Take the Plunge
    The context of the article suggests to me that it is not very current but, I can't find a date anywhere.
    I Googled the title but, still did not come up with a date.
    Thanks

Thanks
    You can also try copying and pasting the first paragraph and googling that.
    Sometimes they print articles without the original title or reference parts of the article...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    Introduction to HTPC: Take the Plunge
    The context of the article suggests to me that it is not very current but, I can't find a date anywhere.
    It should be against the law to put undated articles out there on the web!

What's really annoying are blog entries which give times and days, but no month or year.

But for a particular web page like that, you can see how old it is from a search on the Wayback Machine Internet Archive

For instance, that Home Theatre PC chapter seems to have been unchanged since more than 8 years ago: First crawled/captured October 15, 2004

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but, it seems logical.
    If I'm looking for some information on the web and I come across an interesting article, is there any way to determine the date the article was written or posted if the author doesn't provide one? I can right click on most web pages and select "View Page Info" but, this usually does not give me anything useful regarding dates.
    Thanks
    I couldn't really decide where to move this to, so I think I'll leave this here.

A good question though, I've come across article too on occasion for which there is no date associated with them.
    I try to avoid linking or quoting from them. Try to find alternatives that do provide more detailed authorial and date/time info.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce,
    Thanks for the link. I tried it and it works as you say. Regarding the article I referenced, it is interesting to note that each "capture" is preceded by an asterisk (*) which indicates (according to the Wayback FAQs) that the article is different from the previous capture. Although, skimming through the article, it is evident that it is quite dated.
    Clint,
    Thanks. I agree. Although, it is frustrating when you find a well written and comprehensive article that is out of date and can't find a current one that is comparable.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I couldn't really decide where to move this to, so I think I'll leave this here.
    I moved it here, originally, since I couldn't really see where this should go and it clearly should not be on the Web Development forum where it was posted.