Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Heading/Bookmark error converting Word with Heading Styles to .pdf in 2010

    Using Word 2010 or 2013 Preview, the last Heading 3 "paragraph" of a Word 2000 doc is converted as a Heading 2 Bookmark in the PDF file. The first page of the problem pdf file contains a Table of Contents that is built using the Headings Styles, and shows the three levels of headings as their styles are defined (indentation, levels, etc.). This TOC demonstrates the validity of the source headings.

    Using Adobe Reader X, version 10.1.1 (I know there are many other Readers), and clicking on the Bookmarks ribbon icon to display the Bookmark Links navigation pane, the last Heading 3 "paragraph" displays as a Heading 2 in the Reader Navigation pane, and not as (an unexpanded) level 3 with the previous 2 Heading 3 levels.

    I have one document processing procedure: I use Word 2000 exclusively; I only use these 2010 & 2013 versions to exploit the PDF conversion feature, and I don't save in these versions; The Word 2000 file shows up as "compatibility mode" in the title bar (in 2013; don't remember in 2010).

    I process other documents identically, and they display their Bookmark Links with the proper levels in Adobe Reader when I convert the source doc to pdf.

    I convert the Word doc to a pdf file using the (still honored) Word 2000 keyboard shortcut (Alt > f > a) command: File > Save As > (Type = pdf) > (Options dialog: Create books marks using (checked) & Headings (enabled); Document properties (checked); Document structure tags for accessibility (checked); [OK]) > [Save].

    Some curious things with only this file: The file extension of this file is .doc, as are the others that work properly, but when I do the Save As, the file extension of this file is shown as .dot, and the type is "Word 97-2003 Template (*.dot)". For some reason this file is understood to be a template at Save time.

    This problem condition began when I added a Heading 2 Appendix, with three new Heading 3 parts, at the end of the doc. (I needed to do this because a site that used to contain the heading 3 info no longer honors the deep links that resided earlier in the doc.)

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have resolved this. I did two things, but I don't really know which one fixed it: 1) I created a new document (Ctrl+n) and set up Heading n styles as described in http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html; 2) I copied the following from the original, failing doc into the new doc in this order: heading, then its following body or table "section" and page breaks (omitting the TOC); In copying a page break before the Appendix Heading 2 in the new doc, I didn't keep it a Section Break, as in the original (There is no formatting, etc. reason for having a separate section) - I made it a simple page break like all others in the doc; and then finally, I created the TOC.

    As a result of this process, I gained a document that is no longer seen as a .dot, and the final Heading 3 is nested under the Appendix Heading 2 in the resulting Adobe Reader.

    As previously stated, I used Word 2000 for all of this.

    I can't say that using the Heading doctoring as described in the link, above - which is a very well written exposition - fixed this problem; I have always used Word's undoctored "Based on" Heading style settings since 1995 or so. However, in all that time, I never produced .pdf output form Word, so perhaps this doctoring is used by the pdf creation process in Word 2010/2013. Yet, in other pdf files with nested headings created in the past year or so, this anomaly has not occurred.

    I can see no reason that the former section break, now a page break improved things.

    When encountering bizarre problems such as this during the past 17 years or so, I have resorted to this segmented copying into a new document, avoiding blanket copy-&-vanilla paste (Ctrl+v), and instead either using Paste>Special: Unformatted text, or vanilla pastes for standard styles, such as Headings. Based on previous experience in resolving such impenetrable situations, I feel that this last, low-tech method resolved the unknown issue.

    I want to thank you folks for at least taking a look at this.

    - Michael

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •