4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Search question

In WinXP Pro with SP3, when I click on "Start/Search/For Files or Folders...", what is the name and location of the actual file that is executed?

Thanks
    Task manager says the associated process is explorer.exe.

That suggests (to your humble servant at least) that the search is part of explorer or is called by explorer (likely from a dll) and is not a standalone application. However not being a Windows expert I would not consider my opinion authoritative.

Jock

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, Jock.

However, running explorer.exe does not get me to the search window that I get to through the Start menu.
    What I'm looking for is this: if I wanted to create a desktop shortcut that gets me to the same place as "Start/Search/For Files or Folders...", what would my target file be?

Thanks again.

Thanks
    If you installed Windows Search 4.0 from Microsoft Update, then the target to open a Search Windows is:
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe" /launchsearchwindow

If you use Classic Search from Windows XP, then it is integral with Explorer (AFAIK, there are no command line options to do this). Just open an Explorer Windows (e.g. double click My Computer, My Documents, etc.), navigate to the folder/drive you want to search, and click on the Search button in the top bar.

If you install(ed) Windows Search 4.0 but still want the classic search when you click "Search" in an Explorer window without removing (uninstalling) 4.0, a simple registry edit will allow this:

===Begin .reg file===
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FFAC7A18-EDF9-40DE-BA3F-49FC2269855E}\TreatAs]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
    "WebFindBandHook"="{68F2D3FC-8366-4a46-8224-58EFA2749425}"
    "FileFindBandHook"="{FFAC7A18-EDF9-40de-BA3F-49FC2269855E}"

===End .reg File===

This will allow you to have both Classic Search and Windows Search 4.0 available. To restore Windows Search 4.0 functionality when you click the "Search" button in Explorer, another registry edit is needed:

===Begin .reg File===
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FFAC7A18-EDF9-40DE-BA3F-49FC2269855E}\TreatAs]
    @="{9A674A84-2281-445E-AE8C-87764E43397D}"

===End .reg File===

You can use Classic Search within Explorer and still have a shortcut to open a Windows Search 4.0 window with the first registry edit...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this information, jg.

I just want to access the classic search window (I haven't installed Windows Search 4.0). Specifically, I have a Logitech keyboard with Setpoint software that allows me to assign different tasks to the function keys. I want to assign the classic search window to a function key, but apparently there's no way to direct the function key to the classic search program,since it's embedded in explorer and can't be accessed independently (as I understand from the above replies).

Thanks
    In that case, you have a couple of other options:

The "F3" key defaults to opening a search window from the desktop (or inside Windows Explorer). The "F3" key will also usually open application specific search, like in your internet browser window (e.g. Find) for example. You might be able to remap the special key to this.

You could create a blank text document anywhere named "Search.fnd" (although it doesn't matter what it is named as long as it has the .fnd extension). This will also open the classic search window. You could possibly point the special key to this created file.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, jg. That was the perfect answer. I initially set the F3 key to open my browser search engine (Ixquick). I will keep Ixquick, but on another function key, and reset F3 to point to Search.fnd.

Thanks again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again.

jg, another question about search.fnd. It turns out that when I open "Search/For Files or Folders" from my start menu, I have checked some of the boxes under "More advanced options", and the search window defaults to these options when I open it. However, when I open it from my keyboard (i.e., map the function key to search.fnd), while it opens the same search window, the boxes under "More advanced options" are unchecked. Is there some way to open search.fnd that will keep my preferred selections?