New Lounger
    Thanks

Switching Providers

We want to switch from our current isp where we get our email through. We have our own domain "@ourcompany.com". Comcast says they can use the same address for us if we like but I have concerns about setting up our outlook. I would love to be able to just change the incoming/outgoing server addresses and see no other difference in my email (i.e. I'd keep all my old email, attachments, address book, etc). Is it really this seamless or can I expect a headache from this?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dero,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster!

You don't even have to switch. Just add a new email account and keep the old one. Most providers will leave your old address in operation for a while so anyone who doesn't get the message that you have made a change can still reach you and you can tell where it came from to remind them of your new address.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

The problem isn't notifying people of the change but rather my boss's inability to cope with it. My goal would be to be able to do this without him having to lift a finger (because if he needs to he'll stop me from changing isp's and our current internet is wireless and constantly going in and out on us) or even notice it. If Comcast can give us the exact same email address as we had before then would this be my solution? I realize we'd have to change the exchange server settings but otherwise he shouldn't notice a difference, right?

I asked Comcast these questions but felt like I was given the run around a bit. My only other option would be keep our email at our current isp for a small fee each month...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dero,

On rereading your OP you are correct there should no problem. I say this because since you have your own Domain you'll be moving that to the Comcast servers and you are correct all you'll have to do is change the server names and Comcast should change the DNS entries for your domain to their servers.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If Comcast can, indeed, use your own email domain, you will have to change nothing to switch providers. You may have to edit your DNS data (or ask whoever manages your domain to do it for you), but the clients will not require changes.

P.S.: Seems I got a bit late.