New Lounger
    Thanks

Many problems which I think are XP-related. There I go, thinking again....

I am not exactly sure about the following problems, so I am starting out in the “XP” forum, trusting that I will be advised as to the appropriateness of the several divisions to this forum. Should the Administrators wish to move a particular topic, I shall be happy to edit the original (this) post and start a separate post, moving the content of the selected topic for the perusal of the correct experts.

The system:
    PC HP dc5750 (Tiger Direct in 2010)
    Mainboard AMD Live! 0A64H by HP
    Processor AMD Athlon 64 Hyper Transport Dual Core
    Memory (4) GB DDR-2-666 PC2-5300U (1-GB DIMM)
    Video ATI Radeon Xpress1150 series (128MB PSI, PS2.0, VS2.0)
    Hard Drive Seagate ST3250310AS SATA 300
    OS WIN XP 3 (SP3) NOTE: Installed as VISTA but ‘upgraded’ to XP and THEN SP3 installed (*)

Problems:
    1. When starting up, Internet Explorer (v8) will display message and hang;
    2. Youtube videos will not show picture in EITHER IE8 or Firefox 17.0.
    3. Some games, once closed, cannot be re-opened without restarting computer
    4. (I’ll find something....TRUST ME!)

1: When starting up the computer, the desktop comes up and the unconscionable number of anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-impure thoughts and program scanning software take their three minutes (or more) to load up, after which I am reputed to not exist on the Internet and to be as secure as a babe in it’s mother’s arms. (I also have a bridge...)

When IE is tapped to open, it (9 out of 10 times and regardless of the previous shutdown status) generates a splash box which tell you that – in effect – your last browsing experience “ended in tears” and giving you the option of either returning to the last place you were (just before the presumed land-mine blew up), or restarting the browsing experience altogether. There is, of course the “X” in the upper right corner of the splash box.

I mention that because it matters not WHICH of the first two options you select, the little blue “pinwheel-ie” thing appears in the address bar and spins a few seconds... then freezes solid – and “That’s all, She wrote!” That thing is solidly frozen UNTIL you go up to the “X” for the BROWSER window OR give the “3-Finger Salute” and close the program that way. (Ah... that “X”...) If, however, you chose neither of the options given but instead CLOSE THE SPLASH OX using the “x” in IT’S corner, the splash box disappears and the browser immediately connects to the Google homepage and acts like a real browser from that point on, except for (2) and (3) above.

Let’s talk about them.

2. Youtube pictures under IE8.

I occasionally get a sad face in the youtube box, but more often get a message telling me my Flashplayer had crashed and I should upgrade to the latest verzion. This occurs in IE8 but following directions produces ‘bupkas’.

Firefox usually produces the sad face and tells me I should go (somewhere) and follow the directions to DOWNGRADE Flashplayer from 11.13 (or whatever) back down to an add-on for 10.3. These now occur EVERY time you try to open a Flash Content video.

No amount of up- down- or side-grading seems to work to get youtube videos to play, with exception of the “Angry Birds” games: they load right up once computer is restarted and seem to do so irrespective of opening any browsers, which leads me to #3:

3: Some games will not re-open once closed.

Since “Angry Birds” is the only real game I have on the computer which uses anything remotely like Flashplayer, it is – of course – the one I refer to. You can open the game (registered verzion) and play until tired, but once you close it, you MUST restart the computer and go thru all the nonsense above before you can re-open and continue with the “AB” games.

THIS is the real problem, as I bought these as a present for “The Bride” and it is she who generates all this verbiage. She was dee-lighted with them (well, not THAT delighted, but the crockery launches diminished noticeably) and is considerably LESS than pleased that there is now a problem!

WHAT I really want to try is a wipe and re-install of I E 8 to see if that’s the problem, but since the OS installation was VISTA and included IE8, then the XP system was overlaid on (under?) Vista AND THEN the SP-3 pack was added, one can no longer uninstall IE8! (I can't even find it in Control Panel to try!), so:

Failing all that, a REPAIR installation of WIN-XP might do the trick, but ... everything I read leads me to believe that this will NOT be an easy job, especially since the inital OS was VISTA and that the CD’s I have may NOT be a ‘Full” install version. (I have trepidations about starting that and then not being able to pull it off... “The Bride” awaits....)

The fact that so many of these problems seem to depend on the OS’s operation makes me think that it may be the prime culprit, but I dunno... that’s why I’m here then, innit?

I shall be monitoring this thread from another computer and will be back on this one appx 2100EST to implement concussive repairs as directed.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Format and clean install with the one operating system you have on hand.

Installing Windows Vista
    The Right Way To Install Windows XP

Use the above articles as a guide.
    Once you are done with the clean install, create an image with the use of a 3rd party imaging application to an external HD.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Clint... I has decided that it's time to make that one a fish reef and replace the whole thing with a nice new WIN7/8/64/12GB ram laptop. My only problem will be figuring out which proggies will run under WIN7...and the 64bit will complicate things as well, but it's GOTTA be better than slapping bandaids on XP

OK... can we mark the thread closed?
    Last edited by Vince Brennan; 2013-01-08 at 21:27.

Thanks
    A fresh install of Windows XP with all updated drivers would fix most, if not all the issues you are currently experiencing.
    A drive image created once everything is setup the way you want it will ensure that you have a means to get back to that fresh state
    for many years to come. It's not necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.